GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OBC Coding Plug!!

Firstly we need to know what your car is.

If you have a 525i/530/535/540/M5 then you don't need a code plug for the OBC as it uses the one in the instrument cluster.

If you have 518/520/524/525tds then you will need a different OBC to the one that you have. I've never seen one of these but they would have a connector on the back that would be for the code plug.

I'm a little confused how that would work, but I'm probably not in a position to comment on the 518/520/524/525tds cars. The only one of them offered here was the 520i and it was never available with a trip computer, so I don't think I will ever see that setup on a car here.

Sorry

Default OBC Coding Plug!!

Ok ive got a coding plug on order from bmw, had a look inside the obc tonight to see where to solder it in and tbh i dont have a clue

I got the information off the bmwe34.net from the obc retrofit thread/page.

It said..... you open the obc and solder the mini pcb onto the back of your obc, its only 6 pins and super easy to do

has anyone done this already or have any other info about doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1975
    Ok ive got a coding plug on order from bmw, had a look inside the obc tonight to see where to solder it in and tbh i dont have a clue

I got the information off the bmwe34.net from the obc retrofit thread/page.

It said..... you open the obc and solder the mini pcb onto the back of your obc, its only 6 pins and super easy to do

has anyone done this already or have any other info about doing this?

Here are a couple of pics inside

its a 1995 525tds, according to the link any one will fit?

this was where i got the information from

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/OBC.htm

and this was what was wrote!

Note from David, modified by Durham, Paul L (UK):

The e34's have 2 different types of OBC one for the BMW 518i,520i and a different type for the BMW 525i,530i,535i,540i.
    There are two types of OBC but you can fit ANY OBC IV (without the coding plug socket) into a 518 or 520 with a little modification.
    I successfully retro-fitted an OBC IV (with GONG and Temp Sensor) into my 1995 520SEi where the OBC DID NOT have the coding plug socket in it and it's fully operational.
    All the OBC IV's out of higher spec cars eg.525, 535, etc (without coding plug socket's) are technically dumb on their own as they have no information about the car's engine type, etc.
    This means you go to BMW (like i did) and buy a coding plug for £20 (UK).
    BMW need to know Year, Model, Petrol or Deisel, Plastic or Metal Fuel Tank so that the coding plug has the correct calculation's for your engine, eg. MPG,etc.
    You then take the coding plug apart so your left with a mini PCB. You then open your OBC and solder the mini PCB onto the back of your OBC. It's only 6 pins and is super easy to do.

Your OBC will now know what your car is (NO PPPP ERROR) !
    The info on how to do this is in this PDF File here : http://gunnar525.de/schraubereien/bc...ierstecker.pdf
    It's in German but the pics are easy to follow.
    Once you get past this stage you can then carry on with the retro-fit.