GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Changing front brake pads - 2001 740il

Default Changing front brake pads - 2001 740il

I have done this procedure a number of times on my 1992 525i. The 2001 740il has a heavy plastic armor underneath that I will probably have to remove just to locate some jacking points for my floor jack and stands.

If anyone is familiar with this car and the procedure it would be great to have a few pointers before I tackle this job. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gray
    I have done this procedure a number of times on my 1992 525i. The 2001 740il has a heavy plastic armor underneath that I will probably have to remove just to locate some jacking points for my floor jack and stands.

If anyone is familiar with this car and the procedure it would be great to have a few pointers before I tackle this job. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Gray
    Before I tryhelping you is a 2001 e39 close enough?
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    Before I tryhelping you is a 2001 e39 close enough?
    I believe my car is a 2001 e39. The 740i and the 740il are different only in that the 740il is 5 inches longer. Heck, everyone wants an extra 5 inches! I would be interested in any thoughts that you have with the front brakes procedure specifically where to place my floor jack to raise the car up.

Al Gray

I believe my car is a 2001 e39.

e39 = 5 series from 2000 - 2003.

pretty much exactly the same job as a e34 with the same tools, the belly pan doesn't cover the crossmember so just look for it and jack away where the 4 tubes come together behind the lower oil pan, jack stands can go on the rubber pucks (or where the pucks were if yours have fallen off) behind the front wheels
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

If anyone is familiar with this car and the procedure it would be great to have a few pointers before I tackle this job.
    I jack the car on the Engine cross member and the diff... I would not suggest lifting on the diff though. I stopped because the diff mounts are not ment to support the weight of the car. So for the rear you could jack on the Diff but take into account that the brackets are not intended for it
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    pretty much exactly the same job as a e34 with the same tools, the belly pan doesn't cover the crossmember so just look for it and jack away where the 4 tubes come together behind the lower oil pan, jack stands can go on the rubber pucks (or where the pucks were if yours have fallen off) behind the front wheels
    Winfred,

Thanks! You are the man. I appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Al Gray

Quote Originally Posted by winfred

Winfred,

I changed the brakes pads and put on a new pad wear sensor. When I started the car I still have the message Check Brake Linings and there is a Brake light on the dash just as if I had never changed anything. Does something have to be reset after this brake change with the 2001 740il? Or is something else wrong.

Al Gray

all you need to know is on e38.org and/or bimmerboard.com.

Good luck

turn the key on but don't start and wait for a minute or two for it to reset, if it doesn't then theres a connection problem or the rears are gone too

Winfred,

I changed the brakes pads and put on a new pad wear sensor. When I started the car I still have the message Check Brake Linings and there is a Brake light on the dash just as if I had never changed anything. Does something have to be reset after this brake change with the 2001 740il? Or is something else wrong.

Al Gray
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it