GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Spark Plugs

Default Spark Plugs

Howdy,

I have been having a misfire problem and decided to replace the plugs (Previously done about 3K Miles ago). I have bought NGK BKR6EK plugs to replace the ones I had installed and have found they have a differen gap to the one from the Stealer. The Stealer ones seem to be at 0.5mm and the NGK are 0.8. Does anyone know if I should adjust them or if they will be OK?

The ones that I replaced approx 3K miles ago have already turned black and look in bad shape. I had to replace the rocker cover due to an oil leak, so think this may have causd the wear potentially.

Also if anyone has any tips on getting a stubborn plug out, pretty sure I didn't overtighten, but one just will not budge?(Snapped one tool on it!!!)

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Sorry, no Euro specs to share with you.
    Regarding the stuck plug; First be sure the engine is fully cool, trying to unscrew a sparkplug from a hot aluminum head is asking, no, begging to take the threads out with it.
    If it's cool and still stuck then cross your fingers and get a longer bar. It won't hurt to try a little penetrating oil, although I doubt it will get to the threads. If it breaks loose but is still fighting then use the oil and work it in and out slowly.
    Sooty plugs after 3k are from weak spark or overfueling, more likely a rich mixture given the likelyhood of six ignition coils failing.

Cheers on the quick response. I've allowed the engine to fully cool and so far have tried with a longer bar on the end of the spark plug wrench to no avail. I'll try good old WD40 next thanks.

On the rich mixture... I thought the car was supposed to auto adjust the mixture for the conditions. Is there any reasons why the mixture may be incorrect? I thought the blackness may have been caused by oil getting to the plugs as there was oil on the threads of all the ones I've taken out so far.

Thanks again.

Default Pics

Hi,

Ha Ha, them being soft isn't a good sign... So far I've managed to snap a trailing arm carrier bolt, one of the water pump bolts and probably a few others... so not boding well! Do you think 0.8mm will be too big (This is what the NKG ones have come pre-gapped at), was going to gap them to 0.6mm (The ones from stealer seemed to vary between 5mm/6mm)?

The tools broken were spark plug wrenches, both were most definately too 'soft'! e34.sport has since kindly supplied a spark plug socket, along with a breaker bar, the stubborn plug has been taught a lesson in doing what it's told!

Here's some pictures of the suspect sparks...

Going to gap the others and put them in, see if the misfire disappears. Hoping it's the plugs causing this... could do with a simple fix.

Cheers

Sorry, no Euro specs to share with you.
    Regarding the stuck plug; First be sure the engine is fully cool, trying to unscrew a sparkplug from a hot aluminum head is asking, no, begging to take the threads out with it.
    If it's cool and still stuck then cross your fingers and get a longer bar. It won't hurt to try a little penetrating oil, although I doubt it will get to the threads. If it breaks loose but is still fighting then use the oil and work it in and out slowly.
    Sooty plugs after 3k are from weak spark or overfueling, more likely a rich mixture given the likelyhood of six ignition coils failing.
    Last edited by Ross; 03-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoSlow
    Howdy,

I have been having a misfire problem and decided to replace the plugs (Previously done about 3K Miles ago). I have bought NGK BKR6EK plugs to replace the ones I had installed and have found they have a differen gap to the one from the Stealer. The Stealer ones seem to be at 0.5mm and the NGK are 0.8. Does anyone know if I should adjust them or if they will be OK?

The ones that I replaced approx 3K miles ago have already turned black and look in bad shape. I had to replace the rocker cover due to an oil leak, so think this may have causd the wear potentially.

Also if anyone has any tips on getting a stubborn plug out, pretty sure I didn't overtighten, but one just will not budge?(Snapped one tool on it!!!)

Thanks in advance.
    You have to gap plugs yourself-you cant trust the manufacturer to do that. I dont like NGK plugs cos they are too soft - I break them Sooty deposit means its running rich but you have to define 'in bad shape'. Are they oiled up? The electrodes blown to bit? Maybe a pic would help. What tool did you snap? Cant believe you broke a socket on it

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoSlow
    Hi,

Do you think 0.8mm will be too big (This is what the NKG ones have come pre-gapped at), was going to gap them to 0.6mm (The ones from stealer seemed to vary between 5mm/6mm)?

The tools broken were spark plug wrenches, both were most definately too 'soft'! e34.sport has since kindly supplied a spark plug socket, along with a breaker bar, the stubborn plug has been taught a lesson in doing what it's told!

Going to gap the others and put them in, see if the misfire disappears. Hoping it's the plugs causing this... could do with a simple fix.

Cheers
    I dont know what the gap is for your motor, but like I said you cant trust the manufacturer to gap them for you! Just put some in my son's Corsa - they were gapped about 1/4 of what they should be when I bought them. (They were NGK!!!) The plugs look sound but you may have a bit of oil creeping down the valve stems. Lets see what others say but I would be looking elsewhere for the misfire eg coils (if you have them)