GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are my Tire Choices?

Do you mean Bridgestone G009s? Good tire, my second choice.

BTW, they will be replaced soon by a new model.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default More choices...

Quote Originally Posted by vping
    The tires on my soon to be 525I will need to be replaced. What are my options and availability? I'm probably going to be on a tight budget. Don't race around town or go much over 100 but I'd like something good for handling.

I've read somewhere that these are metric? Is this true?

Any body selling an inexpensive set on the forum?
    Hi,

I was very pleased with the Yokohama AVS db S2 on my 535i. In fact, I bought a second set when the first ones wore out. They were relatively inexpensive, very quiet and had very good dry and wet traction and handling. They lasted around 35k miles but that's probably typical for the soft compounds necessary for the rated performance.

Regards,
    Adnan

Default What are my Tire Choices?

The tires on my soon to be 525I will need to be replaced. What are my options and availability? I'm probably going to be on a tight budget. Don't race around town or go much over 100 but I'd like something good for handling.

I've read somewhere that these are metric? Is this true?

Any body selling an inexpensive set on the forum?

My advice is to shop one of the on-line stores like Tire rack.
    $75 will buy you a very nice tire there. They can recommend an installer in your area they will ship to. No tax, no ******** little fees that the tire stores seem to love so much.
    Last set I bought was Dunlop G009s at Tire Rack, by the time they were on the car I was still well under $400.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Yes, Bridgestones. A very decent tire all around I thought. Not HP, but ride and noise mean more to me. Very good in snow with full tread depth, serviceable after 20k on them. I was pleased with the choice.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Dunlops are on it now and flatter'n pancakes. The spare is brand new and is a Pirelli P600 225/60 ZR15. I want a good handling tire but not too noisy and decent is all weather in case I get caught in the occasional snow storm.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by vping
    I want a good handling tire but not too noisy and decent is all weather in case I get caught in the occasional snow storm.
    Pick up a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Put 'em on a friends '95 525iT in 225/60/15 (had her get the V rated ones). They're nice and quiet. Ride great. Handle well. Grab great under panic stopping (I couldn't get them to break traction in a hard stop from 50mph). They last a good while. And they deal with rain and snow pretty well too.

Not to mention they're not too spendy either.

They're not quite as good as the PS2's on my car. But considering they cost about 1/3rd the price of the PS2's they come rather close in performance.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

My personal choice for 225/60/15 might have been Khumos from Tire Rack online for cheap ones. Otherwise I might have gone for Continentals.

I figure regulations are on our side, and cheap should not mean dangerous - that's my opinion.

But, with my new set of 17 inch rims, I just might go for Kumho Ecsta AST all season tires at 235/45/17 all around.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    Pick up a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Put 'em on a friends '95 525iT in 225/60/15 (had her get the V rated ones). They're nice and quiet. Ride great. Handle well. Grab great under panic stopping (I couldn't get them to break traction in a hard stop from 50mph). They last a good while. And they deal with rain and snow pretty well too.

Not to mention they're not too spendy either.

They're not quite as good as the PS2's on my car. But considering they cost about 1/3rd the price of the PS2's they come rather close in performance.
    I'd actually second that recommendation. The Traction T/As are quite good. I had very good luck with them on a previous car (non-E34).
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

Continental ContiExtremeContact

This tire does everything well including winter conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast