GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Bodacious Tata

naw man, it's already been tried - and Daimler didn't want to keep Chrysler.

i don' think looking to France as an economic model is the best idea

when is someone going to fix the ****ing board so it's readable?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    x1
    I thought your comments about the French economy were in response to my post but now I'm not so sure. Fact is the French/Germans/Belgians/Dutch/Swiss/Italians have a better standard of living than we do. And I'm only listing the ones I know about. Its a simple fact that their disposable income is far greater than ours. So why dont I go and live there? I have. Were you talking to me....?
    what about the problem with the concept of "a job for life" which has lead to young people being unable to find any work as employers are not willing to hire them? that is one of the things that troubles me the most about the French economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I love to poke fun at the British car industry as much as any yank but this has to hurt.
    Wo there! We Brits may not make the best cars in the world (thats for the Germans to do ), but we do still have Aston Martin, TVR, Morgan and Noble on the go as far as I am aware... I know these are no match for Chrysler, Chevrolet and Ford however !
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default OT: Bodacious Tata

My condolences to the Brits. Upon hearing the news of Jaguar and Land Rover now being in the hands of tractor and throw away car builder Tata I wanted to barf.
    Even though Ford's ownership diluted the brand something good could be said for it's contribution of resources.
    Jag seems destined to a slow and humiliating death now. A prestige car from builders of the modern Trabant?
    I love to poke fun at the British car industry as much as any yank but this has to hurt.
    What's up with you Brit's?
    Rolls-Royce in GERMAN hands, Bentleys are now a (V-dub) poseur's car, MG dead(?) and now Jags to be fitted with hookahs.
    What is Aston's status?
    Watching the U.S. car business crumble under the weight of labor unions I wonder if it will go the same way here.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    My condolences to the Brits. Upon hearing the news of Jaguar and Land Rover now being in the hands of tractor and throw away car builder Tata I wanted to barf.
    We are all wearing black arm bands This is the future of our car industry:
    http://jalopnik.com/cars/ad-watch/ad...206-238674.php
    The French still drive Peugeot/Renault/Citroen. We dont even make the 3 wheel Reliant any more. Their premier just visited us. That man is no fool. I vote we kick Brown out and let him run both shows

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    when is someone going to fix the ****ing board so it's readable?
    x1
    I thought your comments about the French economy were in response to my post but now I'm not so sure. Fact is the French/Germans/Belgians/Dutch/Swiss/Italians have a better standard of living than we do. And I'm only listing the ones I know about. Its a simple fact that their disposable income is far greater than ours. So why dont I go and live there? I have. Were you talking to me....?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    We used to say working in local government or even some engineering companies was a job for life. That all finished in the 70s. I could see 60 odd textile mills from a hill when I was a kid. They are all closed. There are more people employed in Indian restaurants in the UK than in the steel and coal industries combined. I blame my generation for letting governments get away with it. We should have known better. And I think anyone who cant be bothered to vote should be taken out and shot
    This is hardly a political forum but your argument has many flaws. If you like the steel mills and textile mills protected the government has to stop importing them. Simply because the protected idustries will not be able to compete against imports produced by dirty cheap labor from overseas. The implication of this is you may enjoy a high paying job which produce low value products. Your cost of living will be also very high. You may still want that. Many people won't.

In a free market, what you want is to be able to make something only you can make so you name the price. If that is not possible you want to make the product better and faster than everyone else so you still have the edge. If neither is possible and when people with the same skills half way around the world are being paid one tenth of your salary something is bound to change. Meaning you job and skills have become obsolete. This is something protection can not alter. If your company or society refuses to recognize it, other companies and/or societies will take advantage of the cheaper labor to put lower cost products on the market so your job is eliminated either way.

Is it harsh? Yes. The question is can you do things no one else can or can you do it faster and better than others.
    Last edited by yaofeng; 03-27-2008 at 03:09 PM.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

now jags and landrovers are going to be draped in crystal chanderliers and 20" spinners

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast