GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by zmuff
    A couple of years ago I sucessfully beat cancer but was left with some pretty substantial bills. I too had to re-evaluate my priorities and the issue of selling my beloved 5er kept coming up, just to help pay bills and get by.

I sought the advice of friends, family, and a few members here, and the same question coming up each time: Will selling the car change my situation significantly? For me it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

I still have my 5er and am so glad that I didn't sell it. I believe I would have always regretted selling it. So ask youself the same thing, will selling your car make that big of a difference in the overall scheme of things? Only you know the answer to that. Good luck.
    +1

If you need a set of wheels and this car currently satisfies that need, a little cost analysis is in order. In other words, what will you have to spend to replace your 5er with a used vehicle with who knows what mysteries lurking.

My '95 525 costs me around $200/month when you factor the maintainence costs over a year. This is kind of pricey for such an old car but it helps to remember this car was $40K when new...so I'm paying $200/month to drive a luxury car. Makes it all seem pretty cheap when you think of it that way!

Brian

Default What to do?

I've happily owned my 89 525 since July 05. We all know that as life goes on and new things happen in our lives there comes a time we have to evaluate life at that instant and make decisions we sometimes don't want to.
    In my sitaution I purchased my 1st house in Sept 07 and have a baby now, to list only a few significant changes.

So I have this car that I've put plenty of manpower into and $ in new parts. It's not even close to being where I want it to be, then again, our goals change daily everytime we look at our cars. So if you have not guessed it already, Im thinking of letting the car go. I have not consulted nor made my mind up completely on what it is I want to do. (This is not an advertisement)
    I have since ceased putting any extra money or effort into the car.

Any members who have any input, advice, tips, etc. please chime in please
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

A couple of years ago I sucessfully beat cancer but was left with some pretty substantial bills. I too had to re-evaluate my priorities and the issue of selling my beloved 5er kept coming up, just to help pay bills and get by.

I sought the advice of friends, family, and a few members here, and the same question coming up each time: Will selling the car change my situation significantly? For me it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

I still have my 5er and am so glad that I didn't sell it. I believe I would have always regretted selling it. So ask youself the same thing, will selling your car make that big of a difference in the overall scheme of things? Only you know the answer to that. Good luck.

zmuff--1989 535i 5-speed--17" E39 Style 32's--JC chip--UUC Short Shift--
    --Racing Dynamics Springs & Sways--Bilsteins--Yorktown, VA

I felt the same way about my first car, my 530i. While I can honestly say it was a great first car it was definately an expensive beast to keep going when something went wrong. Like you, I put a lot of money and time into making the car better only to have something else fail. While this is typical of a poorly maintenanced car I couldn't see myself pouring much more money into it. Luckily I found a car in much better condition that finally pushed me to get rid of my 530.

After finding my new car I can honestly say I have no regrets getting rid of what was essentially a money pit. It is my opinion that if you can find a car that is better you will probably never miss the seemingly wasted time and money spent on a car that will just keep on taking.

Hope this helps

Default Resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    I've happily owned my 89 525 since July 05. We all know that as life goes on and new things happen in our lives there comes a time we have to evaluate life at that instant and make decisions we sometimes don't want to.
    In my sitaution I purchased my 1st house in Sept 07 and have a baby now, to list only a few significant changes.

So I have this car that I've put plenty of manpower into and $ in new parts. It's not even close to being where I want it to be, then again, our goals change daily everytime we look at our cars. So if you have not guessed it already, Im thinking of letting the car go. I have not consulted nor made my mind up completely on what it is I want to do. (This is not an advertisement)
    I have since ceased putting any extra money or effort into the car.

Any members who have any input, advice, tips, etc. please chime in please
    Resist mate!
    Social pressures push us into having a newer one but to no advantage unless you buy new. If you`ve had all the bugs done then apart from rust there is no reason to part it out.Anything you buy, unless new, may have as many flaws as an E34 but has it been looked after as well as what you have?My local dealer keeps throwing stuff at me,I wilted and bought a Smart Car but gave up when I checked the REAL costs and its back in the showroom, cost more than an E34 to run! We could argue that keeping a car for a few years is ecologically sound(?!) but in reality if you can find a better car tell me and I`ll buy it,well bar an E34 M5 that is!

I have an Audi A4 quattro, a motorcycle, and the wife has a Saab wagon. The Audi and Saab are great in snow and there is plenty of it where I live, the BMW cannot go anywhere with the RWD. All cars work well. I'm just trying to justify the need for having 2 cars for myself and the motorcycle (new as of June07 with 10k miles already). I barely drive 15k miles a year. The only major thing the BMW needs is an EAT chip (I modified intake and fuel for the purpose of using a chip for performance) and struts/springs. Again time and money. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

sell the audi. dump 5k in the e34. drive the saab in snow. i know i'd do it...

its very simple, if you cant afford to run the car and you need the money, then the E34 isnt for you - sell it
    BMW 523i E39 Feb 1998 M52

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    Only you know if you have the time, money and energy to invest in the car. Dont overlook its social and therapeutic value

If you were caught up on the maintenance before deciding to stop investing then she'll probably surprise you with how long it'll run neglected.
    Drive it(for free) until it requires a serious investment then make your decision.
    On a good day what is an '89 525 worth? It's worth nearly that as a parts car. I say drive it till it needs a big cash infusion.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast