GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Help!

Default Power Steering Help!

I am currently having a power steering issue. When I try to park I hear a loud whining sound when turning into a parking spot. I checked the p/s fluid and it is full. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? This noise is horrible
    Last edited by realness; 03-26-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Quote Originally Posted by realness
    I am currently having a power steering issue. When I try to park I hear a loud whining sound when turning into a parking spot. I checked the p/s fluid and it is full. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? This noise is horrible
    I have a noise on mine only when parking - its more of a growl type noise though (hard to describe!).

Try bleeding the system, apparently it can get air in it sometimes... The procedure is on here or e34.net i'm sure.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I think some models have a filter in the power steering reservoir - if yours has a filter than maybe your filter is blocked. You could try changing the power steering oil if it's of unknown provenance.

For reference, on my car the power steering is louder when it's at one of the end stops but there's no way I'd describe it as a loud whining noise.

I would try changing the fluid as well. I know there are ways to bleed the system and refill the whole thing, but I just use a baster to suck out as much as possible out of the power steering resevoir and then fill it back up with new fluid, and keep doing that for three or four days (so long as I've been driving it every day) until it looks very thick/rich when I check it.

If you have the type that just calls for Dexron tranny fluid then I would use a good name brand; don't use that recycled fluid they sell at mini-marts and such that's like water.

The noise is hard to describe, but it sounds like a squeaky door that needs oil. At first I thought it had something to do with the cold weather. But this morning it was in the mid 40’s and the noise was there when I pulled out of my drive way and was still there when I got to work 20 minutes later. The temperature is currently 59. I will post later on to let you all know if the noise is still there.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPopTart
    I would try changing the fluid as well. I know there are ways to bleed the system and refill the whole thing, but I just use a baster to suck out as much as possible out of the power steering resevoir and then fill it back up with new fluid, and keep doing that for three or four days (so long as I've been driving it every day) until it looks very thick/rich when I check it.

If you have the type that just calls for Dexron tranny fluid then I would use a good name brand; don't use that recycled fluid they sell at mini-marts and such that's like water.
    Mine does call for ATF. I will try to bleed the system
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

A screeching would be the V-belt slipping. A whine or moaning is the pump cavitating, either from low fluid or aerated fluid.
    Look in the resevoir to see if the fluid is foamy and check for leaks.
    If you go to the trouble of bleeding just completely flush all the old fluid out.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Mine is starting to sound like whale's mating doggie style. Whale song whenever I turn the wheel. I think I need to flush the sucker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    A screeching would be the V-belt slipping. A whine or moaning is the pump cavitating, either from low fluid or aerated fluid.
    Look in the resevoir to see if the fluid is foamy and check for leaks.
    If you go to the trouble of bleeding just completely flush all the old fluid out.
    I got in the car after work and the squeaky/screeching sound was still there. Do you recommend i change the v-belt? Where is the v-belt located? or Do i start with flushing out the old fluid out?
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

I chnaged the filter and the fluid, and it is gone. Flushing all is even better, there are a lot of small holes inside a power steering gear. I disassembled some steering gears and found some almost clogged from old rubber stuff etc.

On my 1992 750 the power steering system even has 2 filters, one inside the Pentosin container, one inside the ASC+T line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast