GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Help!

I just changed my fluid but I still have the whining sound.... I cleaned the reservoir with all its gunk too... do you think the gunk went in my pump and stayed there?

anyone?

I would try tightening your V-belts as Ross said... When turning the wheel your using more power so the belts will be spinning quicker, maybe slipping. Easy to do in five minutes, worth a check.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by realness
    Where is the v-belt located exactly? Is it located near the p/s reservoir? Is it on the other side of the engine?
    If you take the undertray off (if you have one?), and get underneath... there should be a belt that is visible that goes around the power steering pump... on the passenger side of the vehicle (RHD car)...

If you push on the belt with your thumb you shouldn't get much movement on it at all... There is a tensioner that has a big (19mm i think) nut on one side and a small nut on the other end (13mm i think) which you can use to tighten the belt. I couldn't find it for ages even though it is right in your face when you get under there - keep looking! Just loosen the 13mm nut off a bit and move the 19mm end one way to loosen the belt, and the other way to tighten it.

There is another larger belt above this one, the tensionerfor this one can be adjusted by leaning into the engine bay from above on the passenger side.

If you don't know when they were last changed I would get some new ones and replace them and make sure they are tight enough (but not overly so)... I think its 6mm of movement on one and 10mm of movement on the other one but check your haynes or whatever)... Mine looked fine from outside but were squealing so I took them off, and they were badly worn and cracked on the inside! Worth changing as they aren't costly.

It could cost you a LOT more if one snaps...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I got in my car this morning and i dont have the squeaky sound. this is bizzare.

Where is the v-belt located?
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

You may have had air in the oil which settled out overnight.
    The v-belt is the belt that operates the pump. Check it for tightness, perhaps a half inch of "slack" if you tug on it.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    You may have had air in the oil which settled out overnight.
    The v-belt is the belt that operates the pump. Check it for tightness, perhaps a half inch of "slack" if you tug on it.
    Where is the v-belt located exactly? Is it located near the p/s reservoir? Is it on the other side of the engine?
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12