GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by vping
    New here and I just picked up (or am about to pick up) a 1990 525I. Red with a black interior. 141,000k and has been sitting unused for 5 years. She fired right up but what else should I look for that I may want to replace on it that may have soured over that past 5 years? I know the usuall hoses and stuff but not sure if anything specific for this car. I am an MG enthusiast and have a few of them so I wrench all the time but my familiarity with cars are only the MG's. I want to make this a reliable car that I can cruise around with the family in.

More on the car and pics when I get it home.
    Welcome! I'm sure if you work on the MG's you won't have a problem with the e34, these cars are really straightforward to work on... They must be if I do!

Healtoeit makes some great points - take these seriously. I'd also do a full service including spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter (this often gets overlooked for years... I changed mine last year and it had been in since 1992!)

Also check out the fuel lines, not sure if sitting will make them any worse but worth checking and doing before you spring a leak (like I recently did ).

Anyway have fun with the new motor!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default New to the Forum

New here and I just picked up (or am about to pick up) a 1990 525I. Red with a black interior. 141,000k and has been sitting unused for 5 years. She fired right up but what else should I look for that I may want to replace on it that may have soured over that past 5 years? I know the usuall hoses and stuff but not sure if anything specific for this car. I am an MG enthusiast and have a few of them so I wrench all the time but my familiarity with cars are only the MG's. I want to make this a reliable car that I can cruise around with the family in.

what else should I look for that I may want to replace on it that may have soured over that past 5 years?
    Welcome to the club man! Great chioce on a new car, here are my questions for you!
    Where was it sitting? In a garage or outside??

Was the fuel left in it? If so look out for water in fuel, it seperates after a while reguardless if its a car or a lawnmower.

Replace all the fluids, regardless of their last change, if the car has been in storage and not run for a while all the fluids will have been sitting and not lubricating the parts they need too.

look for dry rot on the tires. Those WILL cause the tires to pop, replace them immediately if this is the case.

I would look at all the bushings in the car to see how the storage effected them, sitting is not good for a car, I see it everyday where I work lol.

Other then that, we will have to wait and see a "test drive" report to help you any further!

Again welcome
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Am I missing something here? (Damn forum clock) I assume this is an M20 engine, regardless of where you live (since you don't say). If it is, did no one tell you you'll need to determine when the timing belt was last changed? Every four years or 60,000 miles. Very important on '89-90 525i models and, if neglected, could cost you a thousand (U$D) or more in repairs when it goes.
    Last edited by BMWCCA1; 03-25-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Well it's been sitting outside but the body it in excellent shape. I know I should not have but I hooked up a battery and she fired right up and then kicked down to a nice idle. I let it warm up a bit and then shut her down. Made the deal with the guy and should be picking it up tomorrow or Thursday and then the full report. Interior is really nice as well.

Tires are flat from sitting but the guy said it took a long time for them to go down. It's bee sitting for about 3 years now that I think about it. Looks like with a little elbow grease it should turn out to be a decent car. I work with him and it was his wifes fathers and then he gave it to them. He wanted to either give it away for a tax rebate or sell it real cheap. Since I take my MG's to work he asked me if I was interested. Hey I'll give it a shot and might learn something.

I hope you have a sense of humour or a very deep wallet. I would think the list of perished items that need replacing will be quite extensive.

It may work for a few days/test drive but as soon as things free up im sure you will start to see issues with pitman arms, suspension, rotten rear exhaust box, tyres will be knackered with flat spots, bushes and hidden sill rot

Well it's been sitting outside
    BMW 523i E39 Feb 1998 M52

Check the rear end fluid. When I got my 525i, it was a good thing I checked it because there was practically nothing in it. Thankfully, I had only been moving it on and off a flatbed and around our yard.

What kind of Auto transmission should it have and should I check and change this fliud along with the rear fluid. I'm hoping that the brakes are not too badly frozen or rusted.
    In terms of it being rotten, there are no signs of that. Being an MG enthusiast I am familiar with going right to the body and making sure it is solid. This one is and just needs a bath and a polish from a body stand point. All rubber will be addressed right after the brakes.

Tires are good enough to get around the driveway of around the block for slow drives to listen for problems, but I would not drive on them. In fact I am heading over tonight to fill up the tires and then will ge a uhaul in the next day or two to pick up a trailer to flatbed it to my house.

A '90 will be the ZF 4hp22 transmisson which uses regular Dexron atf and has a dipstick.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

couple of easy ones from a beginner...

the foam under the carpets is very thick and you might not notice water sitting in the front footwells due to a leak or plugged sunroof drain.

the gastanks seem to go first along the seam along the pass (n.am.) side.

fuel lines at the fuel rail and don't forget to clean your icv!

good luck - tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast