GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only brakes

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Recently bought a rad from Germany for half the price I would have paid in the UK. Worked out great. Today I got the the 'brake lining' warning on so its time to replace. I have a motor factors within 5 minutes walk but dont want to go there again - the pads are good but they squeal when its damp. So I find this and I am thinking maybe another great deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-series-E...QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is I dont recognise the make on the box. A rad is one thing-brakes are another. So unless anyone recognises the box I may well go Mintex instead. Any comments?
    I got ATE discs and pads from EUROCARPARTS down your way for a good price and I haven't drove through any walls yet... YET. No seriously though they've been pretty good to be honest.

If you do go down there when they give you a price you can normally get them to knock a bit more off as they have some discounts they can apply if they're in a good mood. Depends who's behind the counter at the time i've found.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Just had a swift look and those ebay parts are CHEEEAAAAPPPPP!

Eurocarparts reckon...

ATE discs £33.36 each and ATE pads £27.28. (+VAT)

Not quite as cheap as the others, but they've been reliable for me. May be worth trying the ebay ones for £50 odd and letting me know if they're any good!

Having just watched a guy dismantle his WRC Subaru due to fake pads coming off the back-plates all I can say is, be carefull. UK pads can be pure fakes, a set of my old ones did`nt complete a lap of the ring.

Go Textar, or ATE pads from ECP/GSF whiskychaser - they're the best I've tried.

ATE/Brembo disks.

Also they're the best quality pads I've ever handled - come with a heatproof rubber skin on the back of them to stop any kind of squealing while braking. They feel like quality when you get them out the box.

Cheap brakes for the E34 will stop you... once. If you're up for soiling your underwear, grab a set of halfords E34 pads (bargain at £17.90!,) and then brake down from 90 coming off a motorway slip road - evade the roundabout at the top as you sail past it still doing 40 because you cant stop, then nearly plant it into the nearest roadsign as you're still carrying too much speed to get around the next corner..

The brakes are the one place I'd *always* overspend on - I've learned my lesson after having put halfords pads on - which stayed on for less than 2 hours before I binned them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Go Textar, or ATE pads from ECP/GSF whiskychaser - they're the best I've tried.

ATE/Brembo disks.

Also they're the best quality pads I've ever handled - come with a heatproof rubber skin on the back of them to stop any kind of squealing while braking. They feel like quality when you get them out the box.

Cheap brakes for the E34 will stop you... once. If you're up for soiling your underwear, grab a set of halfords E34 pads (bargain at £17.90!,) and then brake down from 90 coming off a motorway slip road - evade the roundabout at the top as you sail past it still doing 40 because you cant stop, then nearly plant it into the nearest roadsign as you're still carrying too much speed to get around the next corner..

The brakes are the one place I'd *always* overspend on - I've learned my lesson after having put halfords pads on - which stayed on for less than 2 hours before I binned them.
    Do you still have them they sound like fun?

Default Only brakes

Recently bought a rad from Germany for half the price I would have paid in the UK. Worked out great. Today I got the the 'brake lining' warning on so its time to replace. I have a motor factors within 5 minutes walk but dont want to go there again - the pads are good but they squeal when its damp. So I find this and I am thinking maybe another great deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-series-E...QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is I dont recognise the make on the box. A rad is one thing-brakes are another. So unless anyone recognises the box I may well go Mintex instead. Any comments?

Have you tried eurocarparts.com - free postage in UK

Ive priced up the cost of pads and discs and it comes to £15 less than the ebay auction, inc postage - you could however go for better makes and pay a bit more on euro, theres a choice of makes
    I use them all the time, fantastic quality and service
    BMW 523i E39 Feb 1998 M52

The packaging emulates Ate. I would assume Chinese imports on the rotors and brand X pads for the price.
    So maybe they aren't the greatest but the price is right and they will stop the car.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by billy
    Have you tried eurocarparts.com - free postage in UK

Ive priced up the cost of pads and discs and it comes to £15 less than the ebay auction, inc postage - you could however go for better makes and pay a bit more on euro, theres a choice of makes
    I use them all the time, fantastic quality and service
    That's new, it used to be free if you spent over £50 or £100 or whatever... Saves me driving up there now - made up!

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Just had a swift look and those ebay parts are CHEEEAAAAPPPPP!

Eurocarparts reckon...

ATE discs £33.36 each and ATE pads £27.28. (+VAT)

Not quite as cheap as the others, but they've been reliable for me. May be worth trying the ebay ones for £50 odd and letting me know if they're any good!
    Yep. They are really cheap. I was attracted because we in the UK always get ripped off on car and car part prices. But as we dont know the make they could be anybody's 'budget' stuff and its not worth the risk. I fancy giving Mintex a try as they do a kit that 'pairs' discs and pads. Havent found them for the E34 yet but will keep looking. Thanks to all for comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast