GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND MY LEAK!!! pls advise....

Default FOUND MY LEAK!!! pls advise....

the coolant is coming out of a tube located right beside the transmission. is this the evaporator drain? can i take it this is also the vent for the heater core? when i turned the car on this morning, there was a heavy smell of antifreeze for about 1 minute, but it went away. this tube is under 3/4 OD, as i stuck one of my fingers into it to confirm that it was indeed where the leak was occuring. somebody PLEASE tell me that there is some way to bypass the heater core in an e34 like in regular cars, if only to confirm that this is where its indeed leaking from. it would be even nicer if there was a way to drive it now
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Sounds as though your heater core is giving up the ghost Ryan. Under the heater core and evaporator coil is a tray that accumulates condensation from the evaporator core to keep your interior dry in the even of a core rupture or during normal usage of the air conditioning. This tray dispells condensation to the ground via the hose you mention. If your core is leaking then this tray accumulates coolant as well and in turn discards it to the ground. The cores sometime rupture on these cars but it is rare. Typically it is the plastic piping manifold and/or O-rings that seal it to the core that fail over time. It is strongly advised however if taking on the tear up to replace the heater core when going in due to the ratio of heater core cost to labor cost, labor being the heavy hit for this job...don't want to do this job twice in the near term.
    I have changed mine in my E-32 and is no picnic...about a 3 out of 5 wrench/beer job.
    If the first time, document everything you remove and use your digicam.
    George

Default Ryan disconnect hoses 1,2 and 3 and put a plug in the end of 2 then

using one of the heater hose repair kits that most auto parts places have connect hose 1 and 3 to each other... this should bypass it just fine for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    the coolant is coming out of a tube located right beside the transmission. is this the evaporator drain? can i take it this is also the vent for the heater core? when i turned the car on this morning, there was a heavy smell of antifreeze for about 1 minute, but it went away. this tube is under 3/4 OD, as i stuck one of my fingers into it to confirm that it was indeed where the leak was occuring. somebody PLEASE tell me that there is some way to bypass the heater core in an e34 like in regular cars, if only to confirm that this is where its indeed leaking from. it would be even nicer if there was a way to drive it now

thanks bill. was hoping that you would chime in and confirm/deny my idea. was going to get a metal natural gas or other heavy duty Tee fittings from lowes and connect three and two to the ----- section and connect 1 to the perpendicular section. i dunno if the carquest on the corner is open today or not, might end up goiing to the lowes no matter what. would it at all be possible to run air conditioning in this configuration? or is that asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    using one of the heater hose repair kits that most auto parts places have connect hose 1 and 3 to each other... this should bypass it just fine for now.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default you can run the air just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    thanks bill. was hoping that you would chime in and confirm/deny my idea. was going to get a metal natural gas or other heavy duty Tee fittings from lowes and connect three and two to the ----- section and connect 1 to the perpendicular section. i dunno if the carquest on the corner is open today or not, might end up goiing to the lowes no matter what. would it at all be possible to run air conditioning in this configuration? or is that asking too much.

$1.74 in parts later, and no more heater core! buttoned everything back up, bled for 30 mins, took the car to 6500 to get rid of the water in the evaporator and no more leaks! thanks everybody that contributed.

now dont forget about that before next winter.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i estimate that i got about till november to do it

just kidding. its so hot here that yesterday i pushed the car three feet on level ground with my open hands, and today my palms are still burned. i don't think ill have any use for heat till around then anyway. the floriduh heat can suck on my malfunctioning heater core. more realistically i think ill do it during my week off of school in july.
    Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    now dont forget about that before next winter.

Default Seriously Ryan,

You will need it before then to defog your windshield, I tried that trick many years ago and went on a vacation, was pure misery I couldnt drive at all without constantly wiping (smearing) the glass. Just a FYI.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Heat?...Fog??....just hope the friggin' A/C works! ; )

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    You will need it before then to defog your windshield, I tried that trick many years ago and went on a vacation, was pure misery I couldnt drive at all without constantly wiping (smearing) the glass. Just a FYI.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast