GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Speaker replacement question

The factory speakers sound remarkable well when they have some real power put to them. I ended up using an active crossover to kill a little of the low end that went to them and then adding a sub and a couple of amps. Just adding a high power amp to a totally factory setup will greatly improve the sound quality

This is a picture of the factory amp circuit inside the amp - as you can see, its pretty weak:
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I think the factory system just plain sounds good, but not every radio station sounds good. Unfortunately, the tape player doesn't work in my deck, but oh well.

Do you mean using an aftermarket amplifier, but using the factory crossover board? I've heard someone mention that before and I think that's a good idea. I've also aquired another factory amplifier and I plan on recapping it with better capacitors and then swapping it with the current one to compare quality. I can't wait to get started on this thing.

I have 160 watts of a/d/s power going to the factory speakers. I have obtained some ear shattering volumes and have not destroyed the factory speakers. I give BMW a lot of credit for their OEM speaker choices.

Recapping a factory amp not going to do much for you. There is so much ambient noise that new caps are just not going to make a difference. In my opinion here are the best budget ways to upgrade e34 audio:

1. Install sub fed off factory speaker level amp. Using a dedicated sub amo, you can pull a signal off the factory amp, wire the sub to the battery and have some bass.
    2. Replace head unit. This gives you better source and a little hotter signal to the factory amp does improve the sound.
    3. Add an aux amp(s) to power the factory speakers off a line leve out from a new head unit. Major power increases, huge improvement
    4. All of the above - with an electronic crossover to kill some of the low end that goes to the factory loudspeakers. Helps to keep them from breaking up.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Has anyone replaced their speakers with new OE speakers?
    At best our speakers are 13 years in a hostile environment and likely are beat.
    This would seem the least complicated "upgrade".
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by gmannino
    Without replacing the amp or the factory head unit, even with new speakers or upgraded speakers, you will not notice a difference in output. You might notice a slight increase in clarity but you will not increase the output. Upgrading to a larger speaker in the rear might even decrease output since more wattage is required to drive the larger driver.

In order to increase output you need to add more wattage to the system. This can be done in only two ways with the e34. Replace the factory amp or replace the factory head unit.

Replacing the factory head unit with a good aftermarket unit will have a very noticeable increase in output and clarity. The factory deck in the BMW is considered the weak point of the audio system and by replacing it, you will notice that extra output and clarity you were looking for. Some people will say that factory radio is not a weak point but they are simply mistaken.

I have installed thousands of audio systems in BMW's and replacing the head unit alone always made a good increase in sound quality and output. Replacing the amp and the speakers are to be done at the same time.
    one caveat: replacing the head will not increase wattage... you just drive the 20x4 peak amp with a cleaner, more dynamic, and larger signal. it is still only 20x4 peak.

IF you are lucky enough to not own a MY94-95 you maybeable to 'bypass' the amp and use the more powerful headunit amp section. That does make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Has anyone replaced their speakers with new OE speakers?
    At best our speakers are 13 years in a hostile environment and likely are beat.
    This would seem the least complicated "upgrade".
    i'm not sure if speakers actually deteriorate - if the cone is toast you will hear it. the factory amp really is awful, anything is going to sound pretty brutal no matter what else you install unless you can bypass that amp, it kills anything that runs through it. (it's about fifth on my clear-weather job list, i'll let y'all know...)

edit: (afterthought)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSauce
    I think both tweeters in the front are blown so I need to replace those as well.
    if you have installed an aftermarket head i would suggest to you that maybe your tweeters are only just barely working because the upper frequencies of the 40-60 watts from the hu are being seriously muted as they run through the 10 or so (i don't know but pretty feeble) watt factory amp. this is i think (i'm pretty sure) what my problem is... if i listen very carefully for the high-hat i can tell they are working.
    Last edited by 525i winter driver; 03-25-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    I have 160 watts of a/d/s power going to the factory speakers. I have obtained some ear shattering volumes and have not destroyed the factory speakers. I give BMW a lot of credit for their OEM speaker choices.

Recapping a factory amp not going to do much for you. There is so much ambient noise that new caps are just not going to make a difference. In my opinion here are the best budget ways to upgrade e34 audio:

1. Install sub fed off factory speaker level amp. Using a dedicated sub amo, you can pull a signal off the factory amp, wire the sub to the battery and have some bass.
    2. Replace head unit. This gives you better source and a little hotter signal to the factory amp does improve the sound.
    3. Add an aux amp(s) to power the factory speakers off a line leve out from a new head unit. Major power increases, huge improvement
    4. All of the above - with an electronic crossover to kill some of the low end that goes to the factory loudspeakers. Helps to keep them from breaking up.
    I'm currently running an 80x4 rms amp on the factory speakers as well. mids are too bright and I do NOT like where they are positioned, so I would love to replace them later on... but what is the point. It needs Kickpods and a 6.5 component set.

Are you using the crossover board from the factory amp? If not, no wonder it sounds messed up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12