GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news :(

Default Bad news :(

I was laid off today. Not looking for sympathy or anything, but it's pretty depressing. I was given an extremely good review in the fall and looked forward to a decent career at the location, but found out today I was laid off. Its nothing more than slightly depressing to be considered one of the harder workers in our small IT department while having your job retracted. So, yeah, finishing this car may be set on hold somewhat. It couldn't have come at a worse time.

If anyone in the SE PA, Western NJ area knows of any IT positions open, I am looking. I have filed unemployment and sent out resumes within 3 hrs of finding out, so I hope something comes my way. I hold a degree in Management of Information Technology and almost 9 months in a Gov't contract IT desktop/systems/network administration type position. Thanks for the positive words in advance.

you have abundant skills and talents from what I have seen Jon.Its faintly disturbing isnt it.I work in the construction industry which has fairly regular cycles....I was made redundant once....the reason for me was my most comparable counterpart had a family and I didnt...so it doesnt necessarily reflect on your skills etc.
    Gone but not forgotten

Did they give a reason?

Aw man, that really hurts. A little patience and you'll spring back just fine. Was it one of those outsourcing deals?

Good luck my man!
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Thanks everyone - I do understand its not personal and knowing my two managers and how affected they were even trying to tell me the news, I can see it was not personal. It is true, of all the guys in my department (3), I have the least financial worry. I am only 23, still at home, do some work on the side, no car payments, no mortgage, so I guess its better for me to take the blow than someone with kids in college with a mortgage and two or more car payments. They recognized my many talents and they were really upset that it had to happen.

It sucks, I only wish the nature of it wasn't a "ok, we're done with you" type feeling. I was one of maybe 10 or more layoffs so I know it was a means of paring back. Still sucks - oh well, came home and hit the web and updated my resume the moment I got in. I hope no one is in this position any time soon!

Default Laid off

Been made redundant twice in my life. Its a blow to the ego and financially hard, especially if you have a wife and kids to support. Just remember it has nothing to do with you or your abilities-its somebody penny pinching. All the best with getting something else soon

Check out computerjobs.com and good luck.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

every time I have lost my job it has lead to something better, without exception. you will be ok

good luck jon! i'm dying to see your car back together. it's always the young unmarried guys who get the rough road - maybe it's an opportunity in disguise?

Sorry to hear that Jon. I haven't a clue how to help you find IT work, but as an unmarried, un-'kidded' man of 23 years, still able to live at home, you're in a great position to make the best of this. Use your previous managers as much as possible to help you find that next job.

For reference, I didn't even consider University until 26 (bike racing bum for 10 years). Currently, my job is extremely tenuous since the US housing market is as soft as the US dollar This means that ‘you guys’ aren’t buying our lumber products and the forests they’re derived from don’t need the same level of management. So, get out there, get another well paying job and build me a beautiful, giant, wood framed house. Then finish your car

Best of luck, although I don’t think you need it.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast