GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 5 would you buy & why?

it depends what you want from your car.If you like the 7 you may be tempted by an E39..530 or 540,the 540 is available as a 6 speed manual.If you want a more connected drive then an e34,I guess the 540 six speed or an M5,but the 535 manual has its own attractions....perhaps a late 525 manual.The e39 would be available in a touring,but it seems most E34 tourings in the US(you dont say)are 525.
    Gone but not forgotten

If you don't need a lot of power/speed, the M50 525i is the cheapest to maintain. Get the 5sp manual if you can.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

Default What 5 would you buy & why?

I guess I'm a BMW guy. I have a BMW motorcycle (R75/6) for those interested, and I have a 94 740il that I'm tired of. It has 174k on it and still going strong except for the rusted door panel. New engine at 65k, new tranny at 97k. But I am tired of it.

I'm looking for a 5 series. The pro's are it is not as big, smaller engine is ok but still need power to fly up the hill to go skiing and I need something newer. I will work from this car. Price range 15k or less.

Best engine, best year etc.

Thanks for your two cents.

95 540i6

or ///m5

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdaddy
    I have yet to see a M5 for under 15k as well.

not hard to find, they regularly go for less than that on ebay. But no automatics.

M5, either e39 or e34 is the way to go with these cars, in my opinion.

I will probably go with a automatic since I work from the car alot. I sell real estate and taking notes and talking on the phone while sifting is a little cumbersome. Doable just cumbersome. Don't forget the coffee with no cup holders too.

I like the idea of a smaller engine but worried about an automatic and having enough power in the mountains or city for that matter? Any good balance there? Gas is espensive.

I have yet to see a M5 for under 15k as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdaddy
    I'm looking for a 5 series. The pro's are it is not as big, smaller engine is ok but still need power to fly up the hill to go skiing and I need something newer. I will work from this car. Price range 15k or less.

Best engine, best year etc.

Thanks for your two cents.
    With a price range of 15K, I would be looking for an M5. You will have plenty of power to make it up to the slops. I love my baby 6 (M20) with the Korman rebuild and the added turbo. What a difference it made when I went skiing for the first time after the added boost. I ski in northern New Mexico (Taos), and sometimes in Santa Fe, I think I have more fun driving to the slops then skiing
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

$15k buys a lot of car if you shop around and are patient.
    Right now there is a 540i in the $15k range, but it has 56,000 miles, rather extreme. Expect a nice '95 540i/6-speed to go in the $8k range. And expect to spend at least a grand on maintenance immediately.
    I would avoid the m5's if you are cost conscious and need a daily driver.
    Price the difference in a simple brake job for the M5 against a standard model. e34 M5's (all of which had the straight six) have the added cost of valve adjustments which I understand are a yearly ritual.
    To me, the 540 is the daily driver, the M5 is for track days and bragging rights. But they are huge bragging rights, don't get me wrong.
    six forward speeds

I got one of each

M20 525 for daily commute

M50tu 525iT for my wife to haul kids around

S38 ///M5 for me

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Get an Alpina B10

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast