GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts please..

Default Two Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts please..

That'll be $750..lol phase one of Spring Restoration underway. What can I do. What I saved buying a Condo I spend paying someone else to do the dirty work.

One thing was we discussed the oil (Timing Chain Cover Gasket) leak and he said he has to wash the undercarriage off to see for himself but he'd have to have the car 4 or 5 days to do that. The reason that came up was I asked weather it wouldn't be smarter for me to have him do the Motor Mounts WHEN doing the TCCG job as I imagined it easier with some of the front end stuff out of the way and he told me no. That nothing he'd remove to get to the TCC area would make the MM job eaiser , then i asked weather the leaking PS Fluid and Oil contributed to weakened MM's and he said yes then seemed to back track. I trust the guy but we're all human. I asked if the car was safe to drive with two busted Motor Mounts and Tranny mounts he described as "ready to go" and he said flat out "No". So I'll authorize this work and the fact that the new mounts will be soaking with PS Fluid will be incentive to get the other work done asap and fix the leaks. This will hurt but then I'll have this thing for a good long while God willing. oh this price includes an alignment and I'll have it back this evening.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

even here that would be a rip off. let me get this right, 2 x engine mounts + 2 tranny mounts fitted for $750 usd. oh plus an alignment which would be $70aud maybe as only the front can be done. or maybe I missed something and he is doing the tccg as well. either way it still seems way too much.

I thought you would have been doing this yourself

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    even here that would be a rip off. let me get this right, 2 x engine mounts + 2 tranny mounts fitted for $750 usd. oh plus an alignment which would be $70aud maybe as only the front can be done. or maybe I missed something and he is doing the tccg as well. either way it still seems way too much.

I thought you would have been doing this yourself
    I went for a test drive when i brought it over to have him put in the subframe bushings. he showed me it was actually the motor and tranny mouns that were bad. one of each was completely ripped aprart and the other of each was split and tready to go. Again, as I've said many times here I have no real place to work on the car. I have no close friends in the area to help I have no jack, no jack stands and only a few tools that I can either keep in the car or house. I have no place to store big items. I don't have tons of free time to take my time figuring things out. He had my car back in great shape by the end of the day.It drives FAR better and sure, maybe I could have done it myself eventually in theory but time is money. I could either be working making money or spening my time trying to do it myself. Sure its on the high side and no it didn't include the TCCG. Here are pics of his quote for that job. You think this was high wait till you see this. Note the price for the Timing cover gaskets its like less than $20 but the grand total is... well I can't do it myself so its getting done.

Page One

Page Two

I didn't realize till just now that total included the work I had done yesterday so the TC and PS jobs are around $2,800.00
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-19-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    yeah, it seems normal for a shop to that work. no worries.
    Time is money right? You either spend Cash or you spend Time. I spent cash to fix the Car so I can spend more Time making Money. Its high.I agree. I'v seen the Motor Mounts on ebay i thought for $100/pr so maybe i got hosed on the parts but I didn't spend all day drenched in sweat and oil bashing my hands,maybe crushing my hand under the engine since I would be going on written directions like . Jack up the engine now and sliip a 2 x 4 under the engine or you need three 8" extentions and swivel adaptors and a breaker bar or whatever. I'd have to buy more tools too and mainly I just don't have the time to devote to figuring stuff out on my own when it is my only transportation. 2K in labor for the Timing Chain/Power steering hose job looks right to you? I think he charges $90/ hr.

If I can make money working while i pay someone to fix my car theres an equilibrium . Money flows out to the Mechanic, who's a nice guy and does great work or i do it myself and don't spend money but don't make any either so while i save what i spent I would likely take more time to do the job than he did thus have less time to make more money. Circle of life or something like that.. I don't want to spend Three Thousand Dollars on this car but I don't want to drive it with these leaks for another year either. I haven't set an appointment for the big job. I may try a few things first like replacing the two low pressure feed and return PS hoses and the reservoir first to see if that is the only PS Fluid leak. I've seen the Res for half what he lists his part charge. Those i could probably do myself. I haven't looked at the two high pressure hoses . It may turn out I actually can do them myself. I did the heater core so I can set to doing fairly involved jobs and seeing them thru. The timing chain cover though would mean draining oil and disposing of it. Not sure how I'd manage that. Sure maybe i could pay an oil change shop to take it but then I'd need to get it there. Maybe i can buy a sealed oil drain pan that i can safely transport full in my trunk. but still I'd be concerned about doing it outdoors in one day. I have no covered space to take the front off the engine and If i couldn't finish it in one day for whatever reason well I'd feel uneasy just leaving it with a tarp over it wherever, couldn't be here at home ,condo by laws prohibit working on cars here. Lots to think over. I've had this leak a year and hate leaving stains wherever i visit. Not to mention Royal Purple is like $8usd a qt and i go thru about a qt in two weeks. it'd be nice to have Buddy's with a garage, tools, skills and time. I can't have everything but I want the car and want it fixed.
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.

yeah, it seems normal for a shop to that work. no worries.

Time is only money is you view it as an opportunity cost though. Yeah the prices look okay and they would be even higher in Australia.

all of those points taken jehu, i guess if u dont have equipment or a dedicated space to do it then its easier to get a professional to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Wow, wow.......wow. Sometimes I take my garage for granted.

Glad you finally got the timing cover leak fixed and you can enjoy a near perfect 540.

Dave
    You're either posting from the Future or i left something out. I haven't had the big job done yet. Just had motor mounts and tranny mounts and an alighnment done yesterday and he gave me the quote for the other work then. The car rides and handles much better with all the mounts new. I had really just gotten used to the ride as it was.

Your post will count towards when I actually do get it done .

Quote Originally Posted by M20Turbo
    Jehu... You live in NH right? Is there anyone on this board who lives near you, who is willing to help out with tools and a place to work? I'm sure the labor cost is correct, but for $2,000.00 plus you could have on heck of a party with your E34 being the guest of honer. Not to mention the new friends you will make. But if time is something you truly do not have, then I'm sure your mechanic appreciates you paying his mortgage for the next couple months.
    I had visited Bimmerforums local board and there was some activity along those lines. I just think its something I'd actually feel more confident with having a seasoned professional doing. Having a bunch of slightly buzzed yahoos tearing my car apart over a few days doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. If i knew such people much better and found a set up i felt good about I could see going at it that way. I may look into it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-19-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast