GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: how long would it take for a newbie to rebuild a 4l30e (a4s 310r)?

Default how long would it take for a newbie to rebuild a 4l30e (a4s 310r)?

i am faced with the prospect of performing the intermediate gasket repair on my 4l30e GM hydramatic transmission, and was wondering about how long it would take to perform a full rebuild on the unit instead. i've never seen the inside of a automatic transmission, and am only somewhat mechanically inclined. i have the atsg book, as well as a basic overhaul kit (with some extra selective washers), and fear that i might have to replace one or two weird hard parts. i change the oil in this transmission every 3-6k miles, filter about every 40k miles or so.

on another note, getting my transmission out took every minute of 22 hours over three days, with someone helping me. 9 trips to advance auto parts, 3 trips to sears, and we already had a substantial number of tools. the person who replaced the engine in this car about 5 years ago attached the transmission to the engine outside of the vehicle, and used whatever fasteners he had in his odds and ends jar to couple them. 3 engine to bellhousing bolts were missing, 2 were not torx. two flexplate bolts were either 15 or 16mm, and one was 14, and had to be removed with a 1/4 inch drive wratchet/socket/extension for clearance purposes. several guibo bolts were hardware store deals with lugnuts to hold them on. i'll provide some see-it-to believe it pictures later.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I can give you some info how we do it on the 4HP24 on a 750.
    2-3 guys, even if they just lend you a hand to remove exhaust, tranny is helpful.
    Equipment we have you can see here
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/309930/
    Changing a tranny on a 750: from morning 8-evening 8, including lunch break.
    We are not in a hurry.

Time for a complete reman of the tranny when it is out of the car:

valve body: half day

rest 1 day, with breaks in between.

We have a 20 ton press to push out some parts, compressed air (see the repair manual, you need that), some pressing tools made by ourselves from pipes.

Yoy can see about 50 pics of such a repair on my website below.

We have done that now several times, first time took of course more time.

All depends on the tools you have and the equipment.
    If you do the repair on your own, maybe after work in the evenings for some hours every day for one week should be enough.
    Of course, all depends on skills, tools.......

the manual doesn't specify the use of presses or compressed air on this transmission, though there are several smaller "specialty" puller/pressing tools referenced.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."