GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 540i/a Shifting

If the fluid were low, it would probably whine noticeably, especially when cold.

You could reflow the solder joints in the control unit, especially at the connector. A cracked solder connection might give you intermittent problems. Get one of those lighted gooseneck magnifiers to help with the job if your eyes are as bad as mine.

The online ETM that's out there for the '95 E34 includes the pin layout for the control unit, so you could get some ohmmeter readings on the trans temperature sensor and solenoids on the valve body. I'd collect those numbers and call Kirt to see if they're within spec.

Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quick question, I cant seem to find it on realoem. What is the cable that is right UNDER the throttle body, on the drivers side. Could you guys give me a specific location to the cable adjustment as per the link you sent.

Thanks much guys

-Pat

Default Second cable

Cruise Control

Quote Originally Posted by Phatty5BMW
    Quick question, I cant seem to find it on realoem. What is the cable that is right UNDER the throttle body, on the drivers side. Could you guys give me a specific location to the cable adjustment as per the link you sent.

Thanks much guys

-Pat
    Ramon
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default One of these days...

I'll tear into that old 5HP30 that's sitting in my garage and check it out.
    The is one HEAVY tranny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I still would do a fluid and filter change first. My car, at 105,000 miles, my valve body went caput. I had Kirt rebuid it for me and I reinstalled it with new fluids and filter. I used Pennzoil MultiVehicle ATF... this is 2001 or 2. I think I was the first to use it. No problem ever since.

I would change the fluid a couple of times before I actually change the filter if I were you. Drain and fill it with Pennzoil ATF 2 times and wait a couple days of driving in between. By the third time, I would drop the pan and change the filter too.

When I did my valve body, virtually all the fluid came out... I collected nearly 10 quarts and put in I think about 11 as I did lose some new fluid. No problem with tranny since then.

As for MBXB's case, I think his rebuilt valve body was failing... maybe worn gear selenoid and/or speed sensor. He said it was running beautiful and all of the sudden it start slipping... sounds like valve body to me. I am not sure if his car was a city car or highway or average... all is a serious factor on condition of the transmission.
    Ramon
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

i doubt that a cable adjustment would affect your symptoms.
    what if the a/m switch is set to manual and 3 is selected? will it go to 3rd or stay in 2nd? that might be one way to isolate whether the problem is mechanical or electrical

There are 2 cables on the main throttle body, then on the bottom side of the throttle body, there is another cable. I can't seem to figure out what it is. The car is 3 hours away from me, so I can't just go out there and look, but I know there is another cable that goes to something somewhere lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyD
    i doubt that a cable adjustment would affect your symptoms.
    I agree. Other than the shift selector, there are no mechanical controls such as cables or vacuum modulators. It's all electronic.

I had a minor shifting problem with my 540 (the torque converter lockup, really) and talked to Kirt about it. His primary recommendation was to reflow the solder joints in the control unit. Beyond that, he said, drive it til something worse happens.

In my case, the reflow didn't help as much as a Dinan trans chip (I still think the resolder is worth a try).

BTW, those M60 drivers with Alusil replacement blocks and slightly erratic transmissions may want to open up their transmission control units for a look at the chip inside. My car had a chip that did not resemble the one Dinan told me to expect to find.

how cold is it where you live?

Ok I talked to him about the car again today, he did another reset on the car. He said before that the car will do the "gear hang" only for a mile, then all is fine. Today, I told him to listen very closely for a whine in the trans. He said in first gear it had a minor whine, that lasted for 1-2 seconds and was gone. No other whining in any other gears or anything. I don't know if that will help any of you putting a finger on it, but I am guessing it needs a fluid change.

Any info you guys can offer, I am all ears. Thanks a million guys.

-Pat
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast