GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Seat Hell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sport Seat Hell

has anyone with Sport seats ever found a detailed illustrated guide to which cables operate which function under the seats? My drivers side seat started twisting ,right side isn't moving and I believe i have trimmed the sheath on the correct cable, pulled the cable slightly out of the sheath and pushed it down in while turning it to feel it slip back into the slot at the opposite end then pushed the sheath back in to the collar and into the motor as much as i was able and while i hear and feel the motor operating its just not working, no matter how forcefully i shove the sheath in,like the cable end just isn't reaching the slot. I nearly ripped my thumbnail off trying to pull it out and i couldn't get the metal collar out just ripped the sheath out.. Anyone have a decent L Sport Seat in parchment?? My poor hand....

EDIT:; Found what i was looking for.Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-17-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Common problem

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    has anyone with Sport seats ever found a detailed illustrated guide to which cables operate which function under the seats? My drivers side seat started twisting ,right side isn't moving and I believe i have trimmed the sheath on the correct cable, pulled the cable slightly out of the sheath and pushed it down in while turning it to feel it slip back into the slot at the opposite end then pushed the sheath back in to the collar and into the motor as much as i was able and while i hear and feel the motor operating its just not working, no matter how forcefully i shove the sheath in,like the cable end just isn't reaching the slot. I nearly ripped my thumbnail off trying to pull it out and i couldn't get the metal collar out just ripped the sheath out.. Anyone have a decent LF Sport Seat in parchment?? My poor hand....

EDIT:; Found what i was looking for.Thanks anyway.
    Would you mind sharing what you found? I am having the same problem with my seats and would like to get it fixed.

Thanks

in this thread are two links and a written description of which motrs do what and how One thing i didn't try was unbolting the motors . I have seen I think its Winfred's write up with pics before but never noticed how he had the motor unbolted to get at the insert more easily. I was doing it all with everything in place. You have a very hard time getting any leverage doing it like that and invariably end up with the cables less than optimally fitted i think.

Link

Link
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-16-2008 at 08:03 PM.

wait how has it just started twisting?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    wait how has it just started twisting?
    Well. My driver's seat's base rear had stopped responding to the control. The front goes up and down normally but not the back so I can't change the elevation of the seat. I began by pulling the wrong cable. I actually pulled the cable operating the left seat back movement and discovering this put it back in but didn't get it in well enough,I didn't heat the collar just shoved the sheath in with brute force and it eventually popped out so yesterday I tried to refit that cable sheath properly and somehow the other side stopped responding so now the right side of the driver's seat is stuck in an unfavorably upright angle. I was having a hard time identifying which motor and cable handled the right seat back, I may have just been distracted by activity going on around me and couldn't concentrate on what I was trying to do so i figured if i saw a diagram or pictures pointing out which cable was which and which motor ran what functions i'd be able to work with out going through a process of elimination saving me time and aggravation. The descriptions i found identified the motors adequately and i shall soon attempt to cut off a bit more from the sheath on the right seat back cable. I dread discovering a stripped gear wheel as described in one of those articles, I need to drive the car and if the damned seat is practically bolt upright that won't be much fun.

Well. My driver's seat's base rear had stopped responding to the control. The front goes up and down normally but not the back so I can't change the elevation of the seat. I began by pulling the wrong cable. I actually pulled the cable operating the left seat back movement and discovering this put it back in but didn't get it in well enough,I didn't heat the collar just shoved the sheath in with brute force and it eventually popped out so yesterday I tried to refit that cable sheath properly and somehow the other side stopped responding so now the right side of the driver's seat is stuck in an unfavorably upright angle. I was having a hard time identifying which motor and cable handled the right seat back, I may have just been distracted by activity going on around me and couldn't concentrate on what I was trying to do so i figured if i saw a diagram or pictures pointing out which cable was which and which motor ran what functions i'd be able to work with out going through a process of elimination saving me time and aggravation. The descriptions i found identified the motors adequately and i shall soon attempt to cut off a bit more from the sheath on the right seat back cable. I dread discovering a stripped gear wheel as described in one of those articles, I need to drive the car and if the damned seat is practically bolt upright that won't be much fun.
    OMG that sounds like chaos.....................sell me your rondels?
    -Mike

OMG that sounds like chaos.....................sell me your rondels?
    Honestly I'm not sure you'd want them. They have more than a little curb rash though not all of it actually from hitting curbs mostly potholes. I haven't been able to polish them all winter,it just kept snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and... sigh... snowing and snowing and snowing...lol.. and snowing.. so they're kind of yellowing in some places from God knows what. Plus I've had no less than FOUR straightenings done and i forget to which wheels. All are within usable tolerance presently but I'd hope there would be better available though i dare not offer them here for sale or this post will be deleted like the last one i just posted about my sub frame mounts.....(?????????)

Honestly I'm not sure you'd want them. They have more than a little curb rash though not all of it actually from hitting curbs mostly potholes. I haven't been able to polish them all winter,it just kept snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and... sigh... snowing and snowing and snowing...lol.. and snowing.. so they're kind of yellowing in some places from God knows what. Plus I've had no less than FOUR straightenings done and i forget to which wheels. All are within usable tolerance presently but I'd hope there would be better available though i dare not offer them here for sale or this post will be deleted like the last one i just posted about my sub frame mounts.....(?????????)
    Oh I think you underestimate me seriously there impossible to find. **** im in need of more straightening on my 32's goddamn NYC
    -Mike

Oh I think you underestimate me seriously there impossible to find. **** im in need of more straightening on my 32's goddamn NYC
    Have you tried Rondell in Deutschland? Its still listed in their 2008 Katalog

Bjorn helped me when i had questions about mine. Give him a shout. Money answers all things.
    bjoern.ottersbach@rondell.de

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast