GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E36 M50 vs E34 M50 Header's...Whats different?

Default E36 M50 vs E34 M50 Header's...Whats different?

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing my entire exhaust, from the header's to the tips. I got most of the parts I need except the header's because I'm unsure of a couple of things:

1.) The E36 M50 exhaust holes are the same as the E34 M50?
    2.) Are the E34 Oxygen Sensor's the same as the E36 in terms of threads, mounting holes and number of sensors?
    3.) E36 Downpipe and E34 downpipe look different, will bending be required to fit them?

Thanks for the help.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

anybody with some help/advice?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing my entire exhaust, from the header's to the tips. I got most of the parts I need except the header's because I'm unsure of a couple of things:

1.) The E36 M50 exhaust holes are the same as the E34 M50?
    2.) Are the E34 Oxygen Sensor's the same as the E36 in terms of threads, mounting holes and number of sensors?
    3.) E36 Downpipe and E34 downpipe look different, will bending be required to fit them?

Thanks for the help.
    OK, I'll bite.

1) Same engine, same 'holes'

2) No clue, but the e34 O2 sensor is nowhere near the manifold (single sensor for both e36 and e34). Not sure why you're asking.

3) Assuming you are referring to the exhaust manifold (downpipe). Since the e34 and e36 are different CARS, yes the manifolds have the potential to vary accordingly. If you really want headers from an e36 and are thinking about bending them to fit an e34, please post photos of the process.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    OK, I'll bite.

1) Same engine, same 'holes'

2) No clue, but the e34 O2 sensor is nowhere near the manifold (single sensor for both e36 and e34). Not sure why you're asking.

3) Assuming you are referring to the exhaust manifold (downpipe). Since the e34 and e36 are different CARS, yes the manifolds have the potential to vary accordingly. If you really want headers from an e36 and are thinking about bending them to fit an e34, please post photos of the process.

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=017 <--These are E36 Header's WITH the downpipe intergrated.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HEADER-OBX-92-98-...QQcmdZViewItem<--These are also E36 Header's without the downpipe intergrated.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/bmw-e36-e34-e39-m...QQcmdZViewItem <--These are E36 and E34 header's as advertised.

The whole reason I'm asking is because I already took off my downpipe's and it has alot more curves than those pipes because of steering linkages and suspension components are in the way it seems.

The reason for the oxygen sensors I asked is because in the photos they seem to have the holes to put them in, other than that the only O2 sensor(s) I've seem on my E34 is the ONE in the X pipe before the cats.

When I checked Realoem.com I got this:

E34 Front Manifold: 11621716730
    E34 Rear Manifold: 11621716733

E36 Front Manifold: 11621716736
    E36 Rear Manifold: 11621716733

I can use the downpipes I have with some modification but I'm already in the process of replacing my whole exhaust and just missing a bit of information before I start bending the 2.5" Single Pipe.

I got a stainless header from trader-nas on ebay. listing said for e36. fits my e34 fine.

the o2 sensor on an m50 e34 is down at the y pipe by the cat. the header has 2 bungs, both come with plugs. so you can plug them both and retain the stock location, or you can take it over the gearbox and put it in one of the bungs. doesn't matter. and, I was actually told it would get a better reading in the bung at the 4-6 header.

no fitment problems whatsoever. bolted riiight up, nice and easy

Quote Originally Posted by Coldaccord
    I got a stainless header from trader-nas on ebay. listing said for e36. fits my e34 fine.

the o2 sensor on an m50 e34 is down at the y pipe by the cat. the header has 2 bungs, both come with plugs. so you can plug them both and retain the stock location, or you can take it over the gearbox and put it in one of the bungs. doesn't matter. and, I was actually told it would get a better reading in the bung at the 4-6 header.

no fitment problems whatsoever. bolted riiight up, nice and easy
    Are those only the headers because the headers I know will fit but the thing I'm worried about is the downpipe because 1 of them curves alot.

My whole plan is to change the header's, Y pipe after the downpipe and a straight 2.5" stainless steel with a high flow cat, (2.5 in/2.5out) And a muffler, nothing else.

there appear to be a variety of headers out there for these cars, I can only speak for the ones I have sorry