GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield trim flew off! What now?

Default Windshield trim flew off! What now?

Like the topic says, it flew off when I was on the highway.What do I do next. Is it a DIY project or do i have to open up the wallet and spend money out the A$$? Here is a pic if you don't know what im talking about. Keep in mind, this is not an updated pic of the missing trim, just a pic to show you what im talking about.

Mine would randomly pop up in the wind - i was able to find it before it flew off - I used silicone to hold it down....
    Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Make sure the clips are still in place. If the windshield has ever been replaced, and the clips were not replaced during installation, they try to attach the trim with whatever they can.

If your clips are broken and there is nothing left to secure the new trim, you should pull the windshield and reinstall the clips, as they are embedded into the sealant underneath the windshield. There have been a few that have modified the clips to work with the windshield in place.

Replacing the trim really hurts....to the tune of $125 a side.

Hope this brings some light to the problem.

JR

Actually the clips are attatched to the glass. If they are gone or broken about all you can do is caulk them in place.
    Chances are good some chiseler insurance company's off price windshield replacement got you in this situation to begin with.
    The aftermarket glass does not come with clips so the poor schlub who has to make the bogus parts work inevitably winds up gluing the whole works together. It's a really ugly downward spiral once it has been done this way.
    My advice is to just reinstall the new trim with silicone unless some clips remain, and in the right positions as the trim is cut out to accept the clips at certain spots. Try not to apply the silicone in a manner that will prevent water from draining around the perimeter of the glass.
    Although removal and new clips is the proper way, removing the glass without damage is tricky business. I do not think those clips are sold alone anyway.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

The clips can be bought individually.

The trim is that expensive. I think it is about AU$260 per side here in AU.

If your old clips are still there and are not broken, the new trim will clip onto them nicely. Chances are that if the old clips are there, then they will have lost the lugs that hold the trim down.

well all of the clips are still there I think. I think it was just the trim. It was cracked and broken and twisted to pieces(both of them were). So if i were to buy the trim alone, could I just slid them on the clips or something, or would the clips have to be removed?

Does the trim actually costs around $125. If so, thats pretty steep.

I think you'll find that's the going rate for each piece! I'd never replace the trim without replacing the clips that failed in the first place. It can be done without removing the glass. Or ask a glass shop to do it for you. I'm sure they've seen it before.

I took the trim off around the rear glass to see if I could strip it and polish it, and all the tabs on the end of the clips broke so I just roughed up the aluminum underside where it covers the clips and put silicone in there. I didn't think it was going to hold it, (it was someone elses idea) but it's very solid!

Oh, and a little sanding and a little time on the buffing wheel and the trim was shiney! Only trick is, unlike the trim around the side windows, which has a coating on it, bare, polished aluminum is really easy to scratch so you have to be gentle when cleaning it and you will end up polishing it again with light buffing compound. I just haven't gotten around to doing the front trim, yet.

$125 per side? Oh, heck no! I think the parts car on our yard still has all the trim. I'll check, today.

same thing has happened to me. clips were $2 bucks a piece, each side was 250 aud and there is a small centre piece that joins the two which was $22aud.

It was not hard to do, i did it by not removing the glass but rather amending the clips with a stanley knife so they would just sit under the glass, this worked perfectly and I never had any further problems in 3 years of regular higher speed driving. I did not use silicone or any other thing like it and do not belive this is neccesary.

Mattyb

The clip in the center was 22 AU.D?
    Do you carry your currency around in wheelbarrows?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast