GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New Owner

You can pick up a nice driver M5 for between 7 to 10k USD. Trailer Queens touch the 20k range. In between gets you in between.

Default New Owner

I've been coming on to this forum for a little while now and reading some posts. It's been very informative so I decided to register.

I've purchased a 91 M5 and it should be arriving late next month from overseas.

In making the decision to purchase I had to a little negotiating with the better half. I was trying to make my point on value for money etc.

However, I've noticed huge differences in prices on these cars. So it makes it a little harder to figure out if I'm getting a good deal or not. I understand that overall condition effects value and the bottom line is, it's worth what someones willing to pay.

If anyone can figure out an average price for these it might help put my "mind" at ease.

You don't mention where you are so it's difficult to establish a value.
    If in the U.K. anything over the price of a few pints seems high. If in Oz an E34's value is akin to young virgins.
    In the U.S. prices are all over the place. A grand will buy a running but rusty midwestern car and ten ought to buy the nicest most desireable model.
    Too late for you now anyway. Didn't your daddy teach you to shop BEFORE buying?
    Sight unseen from "overseas" huh, good luck.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Well, I'm in Canada firstly.

And many of the M5's I've seen here are pricey or beaten down. High mileage etc.

Ya, my daddy did teach me that but also that sometimes you gotta take a chance for a good deal. But thanks for your point.

It's being imported by a family member who imports from Japan. I've seen pictures of it but you're right I haven't seen it first hand. How many M5's are there that I could actually drive to and look at here that are for sale? I don't know the numbers but I think it's probably pretty low.

You mention E34's. Are you referring to any E34 model? I believe some are more desirable than others?

Well, the "M" is definately most desireable. Good condition should put you on top of the value heap.
    Common perception here is the Japanese generally care well for their machines, perhaps our man in the east, Shogun, will care to comment.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    If in the U.K. anything over the price of a few pints seems high. Didn't your daddy teach you to shop BEFORE buying?
    Sight unseen from "overseas" huh, good luck.
    Caveat emptor indeed. I live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Romyro
    And many of the M5's I've seen here are pricey or beaten down. High mileage etc.
    High miles does not mean it is beaten down! Rusty car and torn up interior is beaten down.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Ok, well thanks for the information. I don't think I did too bad.

Actually, the beaten down comment didn't just refer to a car with high mileage. ("etc"). I've had enough cars to realize that sometimes a newer car with half the mileage can be junk, depends how it's been looked after.

Some cars look nice..not rusty, or torn seats. Then you see the car on "youtube" doing burnouts for 2 minutes.

Unless properly documented a car with high mileage will raise more concerns to a buyer in general. That's why lower mileage cars usually cost more.

Lets face it. Like any sports car, some are looked after properly and maintained and some are just beaten down.