GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: question about transmission rebuild kits

Default question about transmission rebuild kits

i need to replace the gasket between the main case and the "overdrive"/torque converter on my gm 4l30e (a4s 310r in bmw speak). i have no desire to pay bmw 144.00 for a kit that they may or may not get in time, and happens to be about 1/3 of the parts in a rebuild kit, so i would prefer to buy a basic transmission overhaul kit for about 70 instead, and buy individual components to be absolutely sure that i have everything. here is the one i want to get

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...81022&CartID=3

i am not going to rebuild the unit at this time
    (atsg looks f'ing scary after having read it a couple of times). please note, that rebuild kit says it contains no washers.

here's my concern. a couple of years ago, i found the white item in the middle of this photo
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...10%2D000081670
    sitting in the bottom of my pan in 2 or 3 pieces. this is a thrust washer, i'm assuming from the pump. i'm accessing the pump. if the rebuild kit says it has no washers, does it mean little rinky dink plastic thrust washers like these? that would be pretty cheap. the next kit up ~110 doesn't have them either. i'd appreciate some explanation as to what i could expect to get in a rebuild kit, thanks.

here's the procedure that i'm going to be following. i thought that this was complicated, but after reading the 4l30e manual from atsg, this looks like kindergarten infant baby food spoon fed stuff. the manual is ghey, they specify more special tools than bmw does.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment%5b1%5d.pdf
    no hurry, but i have to order this stuff before 830 tomorrow to get it in time, thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I've done the entire 4l30e.

I can't remember each washer and where each one goes exactly, as it was a few years ago.

But I can say that 99% of them are the plastic thrust washers. I ordered everything before I tore it apart (including a few of each color washer). Each color is a different thickness and you put X color in according to how much wear the parts have and how much play the assembly has.

They are fairly cheap. Just remember to use some assembly lube. It makes life that much easier

The rebuild kits do not include the washers. It had mostly sealing rings, clutches, a new band, a few bushings, some valve body filters, etc.

If you have any questions about it, I can hopefully answer them.

oh wow. you'll regret offering to answer my questions by the time i'm done, but thanks. i guess i'll buy some washers, then.

a preliminary question for you then. do you really need the guiding sleeve and alignment pins for the torque converter side of the transmission? or can you just do it judiciously without?

real stupid question, but i need to ask someone...do you need anything special to get the torque converter out? the pictures make it look like you need to insert and twist special tools to get it out.

thanks
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I appologize for missing this thread! I must have overlooked it.

I hope I can still be of some help to you.
    I did not use the alignment tools for the torque converter, It just migt take a few tries. You know when it's aligned and goes into place properly.

No special tools are needed to remove it, either. It just pulls straight out.