GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Removing Driver's seat, 1994 525i

Default Removing Driver's seat, 1994 525i

I recently purchased a replacement leather seat cover (just the driver's seat, not the back) for my 1994 525i. Can anyone suggest a way to replace the old, torn seat cover without removing and dismantling the whole seat assembly? Maybe direct me to a link covering this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pcross
    I recently purchased a replacement leather seat cover (just the driver's seat, not the back) for my 1994 525i. Can anyone suggest a way to replace the old, torn seat cover without removing and dismantling the whole seat assembly? Maybe direct me to a link covering this? Thanks.
    I did this last week to repair my driver seat side bloster that started to tear at the seam.

1.) Advance the Seat all the way forward to the most upright position and lower the headrest all the way.

2.) Remove the 2 Negative Torx bolts (Thats what I call them anyway.) that are located inside the rails

3.) Push the seat forward from the back seat enough to remove the wiring harness clip and automatic seat-belt height adjustment.

4.) Wiggle the Seat left, right, up and down till it comes loose of the front hinges. (You'll see what they look like when you try) It's kind of a forward-lifting motion to get it out or the metal hinges that hold it.

5.) Once you have the seat out and at eye level. Remove the Plastic Covering on the Left side of the seat by removing the 2 Torx Bolts holding it AND the 2 phillips screws behind the buttons/switchs to move the seat electrically.

6.) Then, flip the seat over so you can see underneath it and bend the metal clips (about 15) that hold the leather in various places backwards.

7.) Some of the foam IS glued to the metal frame, but it comes off with gentle pulling.

8.) Lift the seat up and unclip the wiring harness there.

9.) Voila, all yours from there.

10.) To re-install, reverse steps 8 through 1.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Thanks Bad Manners God! Your guide beats hell out of Bentley's "take the whole seat assy. out of the car and then...???"

I recently "rescued" a pair of black seats from a car in a junkyard. The driver's seat was only missing the headrest and motor, but the passenger seat back had been ripped apart. The leather was pretty good, only torn apart at the outer shoulder seam, but had also been ripped from the seatback, tearing the cloth channels on the inside that the metal rods run through. These rods are clipped to the seat frame with round "hog rings" that need to be bent or cut apart in order the remove the metal rods. If you start to take apart the back for any reason, you may run into these rods and wonder what is holding the cover in place.

Hope this helps,

vince

Quote Originally Posted by pcross
    Thanks Bad Manners God! Your guide beats hell out of Bentley's "take the whole seat assy. out of the car and then...???"
    Lol, I borrow my friends Bently manual when I really need it, apart from that I just do it as I go.

I knew how to take the seat out because I had taken them out before to give the carpets a REAL cleaning.

Almost forgot 1 step when removing the seat. Unless you want to work rather close to the car and risk scraching the paint, then undo the seat belt with a 14mm or 15mm socket AFTER taking off the side cover

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...