GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 530i dilemma??

Default 530i dilemma??

Hi there, new to the forum, I've been looking for an e34 for a while, Ive been driving an 89 535i for a bit, lent to me by a friend, and it is a lovely machine, like driving a very fast aerodynamic armchair! Unfortunatley I just cant justify the price of buying it off him plus the fuel costs (uk) are starting to get silly. The thing is I've been after a late 525i Vanos for ages but just never seem to find any with the spec i want, which is pretty much everything for the given year, except no preference to intereior as long as its good and backed up mileage.
    Recently I've been given the opportunity to buy an 89' 530i with around 120k on the clock and its in serieously nice condition, bodywork/paint is fantastic, interior(cloth) is spotless, 5 speed manual, with cold air con! obc, electric everything that all works, and a reciept/stamp for just about anything thats ever been done back to 89', 3 owners from new. How does it compare to a late 525i, in regards to power delivery, i Know on paper its a few mili seconds quicker, but never driven one. Im not too fussed about fuel costs because its such a nice example i believe it will happily hold its value.

Thanks!!! (also not interested on late V8 models, too many issues at high mileage)

Quote Originally Posted by bobchiba
    Hi there, new to the forum, I've been looking for an e34 for a while, Ive been driving an 89 535i for a bit, lent to me by a friend, and it is a lovely machine, like driving a very fast aerodynamic armchair! Unfortunatley I just cant justify the price of buying it off him plus the fuel costs (uk) are starting to get silly. The thing is I've been after a late 525i Vanos for ages but just never seem to find any with the spec i want, which is pretty much everything for the given year, except no preference to intereior as long as its good and backed up mileage.
    Recently I've been given the opportunity to buy an 89' 530i with around 120k on the clock and its in serieously nice condition, bodywork/paint is fantastic, interior(cloth) is spotless, 5 speed manual, with cold air con! obc, electric everything that all works, and a reciept/stamp for just about anything thats ever been done back to 89', 3 owners from new. How does it compare to a late 525i, in regards to power delivery, i Know on paper its a few mili seconds quicker, but never driven one. Im not too fussed about fuel costs because its such a nice example i believe it will happily hold its value.

Thanks!!! (also not interested on late V8 models, too many issues at high mileage)
    There are lots of fact sheets around but I think my 525i M50 non vanos SHOULD develop about 192 bhp compared to a 535i at about 210. The later motors with vanos should have more so you dont get much power for that extra litre in my book. I think the old 530 is a scaled down version of the 535.
    This is where I go for a beer while wiser men tell you otherwise

I don't profess to be wiser but will offer my opinion of the M30 engine vs. the M50.
    The old M30 is a dinosaur if you compare technology to the vanos motors.
    The M30 is also a bit thirstier.... BUT it is a rock, is simple for amatuers to work on and will last virtually forever if given a modicum of care.
    It dates to the seventies I believe so is well sorted and proven.
    Given your choice, all else equal, I'll take the M30 all day.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"