GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto gearboxes - fail more than manual gearboxes ? Opinion.

they fail more often because they are under greater stress from heat.

Default Auto gearboxes - fail more than manual gearboxes ? Opinion.

Well, this is my first post in here!

I plan to buy an used E39 530d Touring from 1999 and would like to know something about this:

Auto gearboxes fail more than manual gearboxes ?

Is this a myth or a reality ?

What is your opinion.

I am a little in doubt with this, cause i like manual, dont like very much auto but maybe i will have to consider also auto gearboxes....

So, i read a lot and all i see its people saying that auto gearboxes do fail more than manual and they need to be replaced for a new one, leading to a lot of money .........

What is your opinion about this ?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sneekens
    If it is treated well and given good maintenance throughout, A/T will last longer than the M/T IMHO. i've never heard of an a/t that missed shift.. unlike with the m/t, there is an element of human error.. even if they say its the lifetime fluid tranny, they would also change it regularly but im not sure of when they would change it.. either at 30k mileage or so..

AT's often miss shifts, through slippage. I had one that would miss first all the time.

If it is treated well and given good maintenance throughout, A/T will last longer than the M/T IMHO. i've never heard of an a/t that missed shift.. unlike with the m/t, there is an element of human error.. even if they say its the lifetime fluid tranny, they would also change it regularly but im not sure of when they would change it.. either at 30k mileage or so..
    Last edited by sneekens; 03-04-2008 at 08:15 PM.

good points.

They have friction wet clutches and brakes inside which burn out and also their debris can clog the valve blocks. which is why you have a filter inside "life time" ones, however once the clutches wear out what do you do? at least with a manual car the clutch is serviceable without opening the gearbox. it also keeps all the debris inside the belhousing NOT in the gearbox oil.
    would say that a manual gearbox is more serviceable which is ultimately more important because they are pretty much as durable as each other in the long run.
    Last edited by rob101; 03-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

As a rule, Autos fail more than Manuals, but Manual clutches fail more than Autos.

very valid and sensible perspective there Rob,

as for having to buy a new box when an auto fails thats rubbish, they can be rebuilt for a sensible cost in most cases. Like anything, dogs, women, cars etc its how you treat the equipment in the first place that determines the life span and operational quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    very valid and sensible perspective there Rob,

as for having to buy a new box when an auto fails thats rubbish, they can be rebuilt for a sensible cost in most cases. Like anything, dogs, women, cars etc its how you treat the equipment in the first place that determines the life span and operational quality.

+1. I agree. treat whichever tranny you have it will last a long time..

+1. I agree. treat whichever tranny you have it will last a long time..
    Transmission life is highly dependant on both driving style AND the vehicle useage - a vehicle with astronomical mileage on it and mainly highway driving will have a transmission on it that's almost spotless - and the clutch will still have lots of life on it too...

...if it's got 70k and has been used around town a lot, watch out for trouble shortly!

The guys on the UK boards are constantly moaning about E39 auto problems - which usually happen in the 70-100k mile range if they strike.

They're awesome gearboxes, just their reliability seems to be a bit crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz
    As a rule, Autos fail more than Manuals, but Manual clutches fail more than Autos.
    manual gearbox fails if the manual clutch fails, right? wear and tear? I haven't seen a manual tranny last 250,000 kms without changing the clutch, pressure plate etc. but an auto tranny will, just by changing the fluid often and the filter occasionally, good maintenance with proper treatment. as a testament, a fellow forumer Ronald N. has 280,000kms on his 4hp22 and never had it overhauled, or changed anything internally or had slip issues.

or he is just lucky...

if the tranny does fail, the cost of overhauling an auto tranny is ~$350.00, which is not bad actually.

but i would agree that the manual tranny is easier to be serviced compared to an auto. meaning, no need to bring a manual tranny to the pros for simple servicing.
    Last edited by sneekens; 03-05-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast