GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Recall: E34 5 Series Touring - Check the Steering Lock

Default Safety Recall: E34 5 Series Touring - Check the Steering Lock

I had a recall for my car this morning, I can't believe it, a recall for an 11 year old car! I'm well impressed by that!

Got the car booked in to the dealer in 4 weeks time (1st available courtesy car), but in truth if it hasn't broken by now I doubt it will although if it wasn't serious I guess they wouldn't have issued a recall.

I've added a picture of the letter below, sorry for the shakey image but my phone camera is ****, you should still be able to read it though - just.

Anyone else affected by this?

UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

I had my steering lock fail the same way. how do they figure it is isolated to the touring?
    In my case, the dealer supplied the wrong part based on the vin. They sent the lock for the auto trans which has a connection for the shifter position cable, which is deleted in the manual setup. Heads up to others with this issue.
    I will be calling my local dealership to see if I have a case.

... dealer just called back. No open recalls on my car. Nothing in the system regarding a steering lock.
    six forward speeds

I thought this was emdemic across the entire e34 range not just the touring?

[edited]

Actually I just managed to squint and read the letter, it's the locking cam and not the barrel that they are recalling it for. The barrels tend to go on all e34's which takes out the cam when you "adjust" the barrel using a watchmakers screwdriver when trying to get the damn thing out...

Impressive that they are recalling an 11 year old car though. If it were Ford they'd be writing to breakers yards.

1997 e39 523SEi touring.

This is the second time I've heard of this. My dealer says no, there was something regarding a clip on the steering wheel airbag related but not the steering lock. Too bad as mine had already failed.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Trying to read your post I notice a recent date. Would you post the recall or campaign # please. Perhaps I'm due a refund.

Can't find any data at government website... this must be a voluntary recall. However, during a search, I found this... scary...

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...-94V219-NN.PDF

I've added some more pics hopefully to clear some things up but they're not much better. You should be able to get the info you need from the 3 together though! Don't take offence at me clearing my details, I not worried about anyone here, I just don't want all my car and address details on the net for all to see.

Can anyone explain what the Control Cam of the Steering lock actually is? Is there a pic on realoem? Any symptoms of failure? What does it do? Can I see / check it myself? My car is a UK auto if that makes any difference and I think the reference to Touring is just because I have one, I doubt it affects only the touring. There is no recall campaign no on the letter but it is recent, its dated Friday (29/02)!

UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

My '89 started doing this, that's when I pulled the fuse.

or fax it over to someone so he/she can scan the item into PDF that potential wagon owners can bring to BMW to request the recall service. Again... the recall # is important so the dealer can refer it when they look it up.

There is a potmetal piece that breaks inside these, I think that's what they refer to. No pics on realoem, only the complete assemby.This breaks the connection between the lock barrel and the pawl that locks the column as well as the switch. The key and lock barrel will turn but do nothing.
    The replacement part is identical to the old one BTW. At least here in the U.S.
    Would you please post the recall #? It's not visible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast