GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Scrap catalysts

Actually, if you have th large factory OE cat, it can be worth nearly $120. There is a place in TX I think that buys them... send it to them and they will send you money.

For your information... a large cats... when fully processed properly into the three rare metals... are worth I am guessing around $300+. There is platinum which are worth $2150 an ounce, rhodium which are worth I think like $8000 per ounce and palladium... which are worth $500 an ounce.

So... how many ounce can you get out of it? A tiny fraction... and if you process many... you will get a ounce of each. That's why it is big business and why OE cats are so costly.

Aftermarket cats are so tiny and contain significantly alot less of the rare metals. Do a search online... Yahoo! and you will find all sorts of tidbits about cat converters.

Default Scrap catalysts

Somewhere (here?) recently was a thread about a catalytic converter being STOLEN off someone's vehicle. Ballsy move if you ask me.
    Anyway I listed a 530i for parts today on Craigslist and have had four replies in a matter of minutes from people seeking the catalyst for scrap.
    I know the price of metals is high but gee whiz. I have people who want to come "right now" with a sawzall and carve the thing off.
    Who knows how much I should get for this little piece of gold?...errr platinum.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks Tiger, that explains the overwhelming response.

Default Here is a video of it...

...and there is also one surveillance video I have seen where the crook just cut them off new cars on a car lot to the tune of about 30 stolen. Ballsy moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_P1F8ifQjg

Default Here is another..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMdX0fyRSE

Takes all kinds I guess. Now we have one more thing to worry about when parking somewhere. I will start looking under my car when I go to the Metra now.

Wouldn't you just love to catch some ******* with his legs hanging out from under your car? How much pressure does it take to break a knee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Wouldn't you just love to catch some ******* with his legs hanging out from under your car? How much pressure does it take to break a knee?
    Not very much
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

**** i was taken for two personally when the yard was raided last month, they caved in the floor on my new e30 and the bastards even found the system in the shop that i had built for my headers from the old e30, so now i get to build up another system to match up to my headers and bosal muffler (that they cut the flanges off of)

depending on the converter they can be worth upwards of $300 a piece, we've sold several thousand dollars worth at a time in the past and not even filled the bed of a pick up
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it