GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 5HP30 question

Default 5HP30 question

any one replace the little rubber seals on the outside of the tranny? can't figure how to dig these suckers out
    TIA

Do you mean the seals for the gear selector shaft linkage? If so then you're in luck:

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

Use the sidebar menu to go to: Fixes; Driveline and Transmission; Selector shaft seal replacement

yes thanks...those are the ones...I got the passenger side out, but the other side is giving me a real headache...the metal reinforcement part came out and 50% of the rubber, but the rest is cooked in there and is not going to be easy given the fact that there is barely any room to work...chipping away at it is not easy...does anyone know of anything to put on there to soften it up or something?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Do you mean the seals for the gear selector shaft linkage? If so then you're in luck:

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

Use the sidebar menu to go to: Fixes; Driveline and Transmission; Selector shaft seal replacement

You need a set of "dental" picks to remove every trace of the old seals. The corner hardware store has them. A little mineral (baby) oil might help soften any stubborn fragments.

The tough part is getting the old seals out, but the threads on the
    selector shaft can mess up installation. May I suggest:

Go to McDonalds and steal a plastic soda straw.

Bring it home and cut four three-quarter-inch lengths from the straw. Slit the segments up the side so the tubes can expand.

When you're ready to install the seals, take two of the straw segments and fit them over the selector shafts, overlapping them to cover the shaft threads fully. That'll enable you to install the seals without damaging the seals' inner lips.

thanks for the help...I have a set of picks and it is still giving me grief...no room to work and no leverage in there...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard
    You need a set of "dental" picks to remove every trace of the old seals. The corner hardware store has them. A little mineral (baby) oil might help soften any stubborn fragments.

The tough part is getting the old seals out, but the threads on the
    selector shaft can mess up installation. May I suggest:

Go to McDonalds and steal a plastic soda straw.

Bring it home and cut four three-quarter-inch lengths from the straw. Slit the segments up the side so the tubes can expand.

When you're ready to install the seals, take two of the straw segments and fit them over the selector shafts, overlapping them to cover the shaft threads fully. That'll enable you to install the seals without damaging the seals' inner lips.