GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: is this the cylinder thing for the gas flap?

Default is this the cylinder thing for the gas flap?

i found this while pulling out the 'widowmaker' jack - that nickname is hilarious - from it's little cavity... and i think it attaches to the hinge on the gas flap - the car came without one (attached at least). look familiar?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats exactly what it is, its the spring clip for the gas door. After I changed the bracket (mine broke) I was never able to get the clip back on so its sitting in my trunk... Guess its not really necessary, but it would be nice to get it back on. Its tough when the door is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19
    Thats exactly what it is, its the spring clip for the gas door. After I changed the bracket (mine broke) I was never able to get the clip back on so its sitting in my trunk... Guess its not really necessary, but it would be nice to get it back on. Its tough when the door is installed.
    thanks - i think i'll just keep it in a jar somewhere my door stays shut anyway - still using tape on yours? lol-don't get me wrong i do way worse - i was thinking if mine got loose i'd use a couple of velcro pads to keep it shut!

Just spend the $10 or so on a new hinge, install the clip into the new hinge and put it on the door and put it all back together again. It's rather easy to do.

Had to do it on mine as the plastic hinge broke in a manner that kept the clip from holding the door open. It always wanted to keep the door shut. Was kind of annoying to have the door always want to be closed, even when you were filling the tank.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build