GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: m50 intake manifold

Default m50 intake manifold

as part of some maintenance on our '93 525i I'm going to be removing the intake manifold. I have the Bentley, and have ordered the gaskets. Anything special I should know? Gotchas? Tricks?

Is there some type of sealant or something I can use to keep the gaskets in place when installing the manifold?

The M50 gaskets almost never drop out.

The manifold is very very logical if you take your time and strip it down slowly. While you're pulling it apart I'd replace all the vaccuum hoses, and the rubber seals from the ICV as well as its hose

Might as well while you're going to all that effort - and it'll stop any idle/mixture problems at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck
    as part of some maintenance on our '93 525i I'm going to be removing the intake manifold. I have the Bentley, and have ordered the gaskets. Anything special I should know? Gotchas? Tricks?

Is there some type of sealant or something I can use to keep the gaskets in place when installing the manifold?
    There are ridges on the manifold and groves in the gaskets - you have to push them on - so they are not going to fall off
    Couple of hints:
    Dont disconnect the throttle/cruise cable and hoses from the throttle body. Just undo the 4 bolts and lay it to one side
    Undo the little ground wire at the front of the block, the fuel rail bolts and the front fuel hose and lift the injectors and rail out of the way. No need to disconnect the back end. But check conditon of both hoses.
    Careful with the large air hose that goes into the bottom of the manifold - dont want to break that clip. Also watch for the little air hose that goes to the fuel pressure regulator.
    When you come to put the nuts back on the manifold studs, stick a blob of grease or a tiny piece of paper in the socket so the nut doesnt drop out into a black hole somewhere.

just a quick update; we did the work yesterday and everything appears to be fine. the tips here were excellent, thank you!

i would agree, removing the manifold was very logical and pretty straightforward. as soon as i get a chance to transfer the photos, i'll post 'em up!