GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: has anyone here ever done the 4l30e/a4s310r overdrive gasket?

Default has anyone here ever done the 4l30e/a4s310r overdrive gasket?

i'm sitting here trying to figure out the viability of doing it myself. i haven't bought the atsg book yet, i'm simply looking at the service bulletin from bmw and a transtech monthly bulletin that addresses issues in doing those transmissions. also, i have the 100 page pdf/foldout from gm hydramatic/powertrain, but that only addresses the operation, and not disassembly--it is a great thing to have around, though. if any of you have ever rebuilt a transmission and would like to tell me the viability of doing this, i'd appreciate it. the step-by-step from bmw about this gasket is located here

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment%5b1%5d.pdf

my concern isn't the amount of effort it would take to do this, but whether or not i would require the special tools described therein. the biggest hurdle i see is getting a fixture to compress the spring plate without f'ing it up, but i wonder if regular tools would work for the rest of the procedure. this transmission had the overdrive slapped onto it, and the gasket in question is where the overdrive joins the rest of the unit. 2 valve bodies are involved, iirc. a big thanks in advance.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I haven't worked on the 4l30e, but I've done a few autos. You can usually improvise a tool to compress the spring plate. I've used a press, or even a drill press and scrap pipe/metal whatever is on hand to compress springs in autos. Sometimes you can even do them by hand, depending on the model.

After reading through the instructions it doesn't look like it would be a problem with a press (drill press will work here, not running of course, not that much tension on the springs). The instructions even mention using the special tools or a press. Possibly it might be able to be done with a friend pushing down while you remove the snap ring.

Make sure your work area is spotless. Thoroughly clean the exterior of the trans before starting. Just a little bit of dirt in the wrong spot will screw it up.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

My only autobox "overhauling" has been limited to clutch and seal jobs, never any diagnosis(just like the big boys)just take it apart and put it back together.
    If I were going to do this, replacing all the seals clutches is the way I'd go.
    Since this box is a TH derivative there is nothing tricky I know about, the book will give you tips(was backordered last time I tried to buy one BTW).
    Big clean workbench is all that's needed.
    I learned the hard way to soak new clutches well before assembly.
    It would suck to R&R the box, rip it half way apart for one gasket and then have it spring another leak.
    The first time I had an auto trans in a zillion pieces and put it back working was a good feeling.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

If I understand correctly, most local transmission shops cannot seem to rebuild them correctly. Not sure what the issue is.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

ross, it breaks my heart to say that i agree with you completely. here's the problem. i have about 3 days maximum to get this done. if i don't get it done in 3 days, i have to put the transmission up and wait about a month to finish it up. the real-real problem? here's what im afraid will happen if i try to do it all at once.

1)dig dig dig
    2)oh crap, there's a broken 10mm id plastic framastat ring, one wasn't included in the kit i bought.....
    3) ring ring ring...banana phone
    4) hello, this is anal-rape transmission supply
    5) i was wondering if you could sell me a ..........
    6) we don't deal with the general public usually, you'd have to buy an entire kit to get that from us
    7)sigh--ok. can you overnight the kit?
    8) sure--we can overnight it in 3 or 4 days
    9) 10-14 business days later
    ring ring ring-(ryan's mom on the phone, 100 miles away in orlando). ups just came with the parts you ordered. (her husband) wants to know if it would be ok to push the car to the front of the drive so that he can move the......

(d.s. al coda to step 2, change the name of the broken part)
    the repair that bmw outlines looks reasonable to get done in a couple of days, that's why i reluctantly am going to do that in lieu of rebuilding the whole thing. if nothing else, i need to get it done quickly to keep my slave labor around.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 02-27-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Why does it break your heart to agree with me? Am I so disagreeable?
    Good luck with the job. PM sent with alternate parts source, unless you prefer the fellows @ Anal Rape.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

going to ask slave labor when their spring break occurs, and whether or not cousin of slave labor has transmission jack that i can borrow. that will probably determine whether or not i do the whole thing at once. i usually change the transmission fluid in this car at ever oil change, so it isn't likely to be that bad inside.

also got your pm, thanks.