GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Starts but wont run...

Sounds like Crank Position Sensor.

Default Starts but wont run...

Heres the story, i will try to include every detail since i dont know what is important and what isnt.

After work i started my car and drove out of the parking lot and onto the 35mph street towards the freeway. On this 35mph stretch, i noticed the engine hesitating slightly but kept driving while keeping an eye on the tach. The rpms began fluctuating and the engine started sputtering as if it were running out of gas. At the end of the 35mph street, i turned around to go back to work as the engine was running pretty badly. Starting out from the end of the street, the engine would not respond to any throttle application and i had to idle inorder to get anywhere. At this point i decided to shift into first gear for some reason (automatic). In first gear the car ran fine and i turned around once again and continued toward home (45minutes) with the engine running smoothly with the gear selector in D. The next morning, i started the engine and it ran roughly before sputtering and dying. I started it a couple more times but it died shortly after each time.

So far i have checked the fuel pressure which was 45psi with somewhat of a leak where i t-ed the guage in. I also tried starting the car with the fuel pump relay jumpered. No luck.

What should i check next? Im thinking i will take a look at the distributor and then test the coil somehow...

At this point the car will fire but no longer start.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

bump
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Swapping in a working dizzy rotor and cap allowed me to start the engine with the gas pedal floored and keep it running for a bit. The engine died again after about 20 seconds of running roughly.
    southwest WA

It is most likely to be Crank Position Sensor... buy factory BMW part for this sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    It is most likely to be Crank Position Sensor... buy factory BMW part for this sensor.
    Thanks, i will test this part and post the results.
    southwest WA