GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Taking off throwing star covers

Default Taking off throwing star covers

I tried this today to dismay. It seems the screws are on too tight. I got the first wheel cover off. I have a bit set that I use. But on the second wheel I could only get one screw off. I tried using larger bits but kept on mucking up the head of the screw. Any help here guys?

Edit: I don't have the special tool mentioned here; http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ng+star+covers

Thats why I used a bit set.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 02-24-2008 at 12:19 AM.

The bolt heads are very soft and easy to drill out. Once the head is off, you can grab the shaft of the bolt with a vice grip and remove it. I'd also invest in the triple square bit for ease of removal in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I tried this today to dismay. It seems the screws are on too tight. I got the first wheel cover off. I have a bit set that I use. But on the second wheel I could only get one screw off. I tried using larger bits but kept on mucking up the head of the screw. Any help here guys?

Edit: I don't have the special tool mentioned here; http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ng+star+covers

Thats why I used a bit set.
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

did you try WD40 first? it also helps to gently knock on the screw after spraying it with wd40 so it would release.

Yes I tried wd40 and then I banged the top of the bolt when putting the bit into the bolt also. It doesn't really matter that much though, I'll just leave them on.

Thankyou Drew, I know what to do now, Drill the head off, therefore removing the throwing star from the wheel and then purchasing some generic bolts.

You should also be able to use screw extractor sold by Sears... You put it on a drill and press hard and slowly reverse the drill and it should come out.

If it were me, I'd probably find an allen head that is slightly bigger than the head and hit it in with a hammer... then hook it up to those battery operated impact driver and reverse it out. If this doesn't work, then I'd do the above method.

Once you mess up the head of an allen head screw, you're pretty much down to an extractor like easy out to get a grip on what's left, and then replace them. Like is says in the link, use a good shot of your favorite penetrating oil first...

Good Luck with it

I had to drill the heads off for some of mine.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........