GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lookie here..

Default Lookie here..

Who likes Stebro
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Saw that, was seriously considering it (at the same cost as the dealer exhaust) until my insurance company said no

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Saw that, was seriously considering it (at the same cost as the dealer exhaust) until my insurance company said no
    I know we recently had a discussion regarding insurance, but I'm intrigued by how involved companies become in the parts you install. If we installed a turbo, racing seats/belts, an Aooooga horn, then got in an accident, we might be up $hits creek. But a high quality aftermarket exhaust that fits as OEM, no worries (at least where I come from).

What do 'they' say about suspension components? Are they privy to the results of periodic safety inspections? Is there an option of increasing your premium for the 'honour' of having aftermarket/performance bits?

Just curious,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    I know we recently had a discussion regarding insurance, but I'm intrigued by how involved companies become in the parts you install. If we installed a turbo, racing seats/belts, an Aooooga horn, then got in an accident, we might be up $hits creek. But a high quality aftermarket exhaust that fits as OEM, no worries (at least where I come from).

What do 'they' say about suspension components? Are they privy to the results of periodic safety inspections? Is there an option of increasing your premium for the 'honour' of having aftermarket/performance bits?

Just curious,

Dave M
    In the UK your vehicle has to go for a seriously draconian safety check every 12 months (~100USD.) You cannot road tax your vehicle (~400USD) without having a valid safety check (MOT) certificate. It's illegal to drive on a UK road without both of the above, with the exception explained below.

Without either of the above your insurance is invalid if you drive on the road, with the exception of driving to or from a pre-booked (the police will check this) MOT test.

Insurance companies in the UK tend to have watertight contracts that you have to adhere to - pattern parts on cars are allowed but must be of identical spec etc if you're gonna make a claim.

If you have anything non standard on your car (with exception of the sound system and a few internal cosmetic things) they'll refuse a claim. You can argue as much as you like with them around the contract, but some companies (like the cheap one I'm with) want to know anything that differs from baseline spec for your vehicle. IE I have to have my non-standard alloys and seats declared (at no extra cost I might add) else they'd refuse a claim if I had a collision.

You can get the regulators involved, but I'd rather not take that chance!

I had a Stebro system on my 4000 quattro. Quality was good but the pipe never fit quite right over the rear halfshaft, to the point where the components occasionallly made contact. All other potential contributors were accounted for -- motor mounts and suspension components were all fresh. I think the rear muffler box was a little too tall and pushed the rest of the installation lower than it should have been.

A point of annoyance back then was that the order took weeks to arrive, despite repeated promises to the contrary during phone conversations with Stebro in Canada. When the final pipe eventually did arrive, tracking data from the shipper revealed that the part went out well after I was told it had.

YMMV, but looking over the 100% positive eBay feedback, they've clearly negotiated away several potential negatives regarding fitment and delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    In the UK your vehicle has to go for a seriously draconian safety check every 12 months (~100USD.) You cannot road tax your vehicle (~400USD) without having a valid safety check (MOT) certificate. It's illegal to drive on a UK road without both of the above, with the exception explained below.

Without either of the above your insurance is invalid if you drive on the road, with the exception of driving to or from a pre-booked (the police will check this) MOT test.

Insurance companies in the UK tend to have watertight contracts that you have to adhere to - pattern parts on cars are allowed but must be of identical spec etc if you're gonna make a claim.

If you have anything non standard on your car (with exception of the sound system and a few internal cosmetic things) they'll refuse a claim. You can argue as much as you like with them around the contract, but some companies (like the cheap one I'm with) want to know anything that differs from baseline spec for your vehicle. IE I have to have my non-standard alloys and seats declared (at no extra cost I might add) else they'd refuse a claim if I had a collision.

You can get the regulators involved, but I'd rather not take that chance!
    Wow, thanks for that. We are definitely fortunate with regard to this. $37/year to register with no 'MOT' or emmisions, cheap insurance and half decent roads. Add access to cheap parts and relatively cheap fuel and we have inexpensive transport. Glad for that as you drive for six days without getting from end to end

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

some one on one of the other boards ( i forget who it was ) did the make an offer and got it for significantlly less than the BIN of 1400

Never seen one of these in person, but...from the pictures, the quality of the pipe bends is disappointing, especially for the price, and no word on what kind of stainless these are made out of.

hmm, not mandrel bent and the tubing is probably 304 stainless

I won one for the ///M5 with the make offer thing-a-ma-bob.

They shipped it to Hawaii for $94.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast