GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 uses M50 engine, right? Turbo Questions inside...

If this is one of those $1500 kits, dont.

Man so much bad information in this thread.

Default E36 uses M50 engine, right? Turbo Questions inside...

I've decided to forget Coil-Overs and go for a bolt-on turbo kit running low boost(6-8psi) on stock internals.

I found a bolt-on kit for the E36 6 CYL which has the same exhaust manifold as an E34 right?

Which means, the rest of the kit should bolt on except for the intercooler piping which I know I'll need to modify.

So, question time for you turbo guru's

1.) E36 Exhaust Manifold the same as E34?
    2.) If above awnser is yes...What else do I need to worry about not fitting from E36 Turbo kit?
    3.) Is it hard to make a custom Downpipe because it doesnt come with the kit.
    4.) What kind of power can I expect from this setup going through an automatic transmission(for now)
    5.) Any other things I should be worried about the setup?

Tuning is not a problem.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    If this is one of those $1500 kits, dont.
    It's more like 800, but there's got to be a good reason?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    It's more like 800, but there's got to be a good reason?
    A real turbo kit

http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product04

but i have no idea if this will fit on the e34 m50!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    A real turbo kit

http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product04

but i have no idea if this will fit on the e34 m50!
    Thats the problem, 10000 reasons more than i can explain.

Low boost is better than no boost.

I've decided to forget Coil-Overs and go for a bolt-on turbo kit running low boost(6-8psi) on ]stock internals.
    The stock internals part is something that hits me wrong, JonK (or anyone for that matter) please butt in at any time if I am wrong!
    adding boost to your engine, epically one with that many miles miles on it will but more stress then was intended from the factory on the parts. Hence new injectors and so on. these parts are old and should be replaced before adding on a turbo as to stop them from breaking once you have the turbo. JonK doesn't have to worry about his because he is building everything brand new!
    Another thing to think about before you even conider a turbo is if you have upgraded you breaks at all? adding 30hp to you car is enough in my mind to warrant a big break kit.
    Their is no point in going fast if you cant stop!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.

The stock internals part is something that hits me wrong, JonK (or anyone for that matter) please butt in at any time if I am wrong!
    adding boost to your engine, epically one with that many miles miles on it will but more stress then was intended from the factory on the parts. Hence new injectors and so on. these parts are old and should be replaced before adding on a turbo as to stop them from breaking once you have the turbo. JonK doesn't have to worry about his because he is building everything brand new!
    Another thing to think about before you even conider a turbo is if you have upgraded you breaks at all? adding 30hp to you car is enough in my mind to warrant a big break kit.
    Their is no point in going fast if you cant stop!
    I have #19 injectors I haven't installed yet. I don't have the kind of money that JonK is putting into his engine. I can rebuild my engine at school since that's what i'm learning and will only cost me parts. But forged parts is not in my budget.

As far as brakes go, we all know how damn good BMW brakes are, not to mention that I have PBR Full Organic Pads as well as Cross Drilled Rotors front and rear to disapate the heat. Anything other than that will warrant the really expensive brake fluid, the pads and rotors will be almost double if not more to replace when they wear out.

And why do I need to stop that fast? If I see a cop? I'll hear the cop before I ever see them.

As far as brakes go, we all know how damn good BMW brakes are
    It doesn't matter how good you breaks are. You cannot get away from the fact that you are driving a 3,700lb tank. A heavier car requires more force to stop then a lighter car. Add to that a higher rate of speed and you asking for trouble.
    And why do I need to stop that fast? If I see a cop? I'll hear the cop before I ever see them.
    I'll take Bigger breaks over more horsepower any day, why? Because real races are won in the turns!

It doesn't matter how good you breaks are. You cannot get away from the fact that you are driving a 3,700lb tank. A heavier car requires more force to stop then a lighter car. Add to that a higher rate of speed and you asking for trouble.

I'll take Bigger breaks over more horsepower any day, why? Because real races are won in the turns!
    Yea, I know my car is heavy, it's a tank, but ive taken it to some serious extremes in cornering at high speeds and never failed me without even using the brakes.

Real Races are won in turns, but if you don't have enough horsepower to keep up to the guy in front of you, the only thing big brakes are going to do for you, is stop you dead solid so you don't get embrassed after getting smoked because you invested in bigger brakes over a turbo.

Even if I put bigger brakes, it means I have to fix my ABS, because as is, if i push the brakes hard enough, they lock up real fast. which means putting more money into brakes when I started out with turbo questions.

Regardless, it's just a matter of opinion, so there is no real right awnser. In any case, I want to at least get some info on why/why not to turbo the car, it's so heavy and sluggish it can use a bit of push espically in the lower speed's.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast