GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: original ignition cylinder for '89s unavailable? really?

Default original ignition cylinder for '89s unavailable? really?

welcome to the two key club

kev535i south oz

Default original ignition cylinder for '89s unavailable? really?

i went to the dealer today with my id and registration to order a new ignition cylinder coded for my serial number. both guys checked twice then told me they can't order those anymore, only 91s and up. wtf? isn't it the same part?

i have the original locks for everything else, although the doors on it are from a different car and i haven't switched the handles yet. but i only have one key for the cylinder that i have and i need a spare. can't copy these keys anywhere ... damn ... it seems wrong to me that i can't get the original cylinder, but i guess 20 years is a while. guess i'll have to order a new cylinder... damn ... i think i'm stuck with two keys forever.

...help me i'm freeeezing...

PM sent
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

realized this too ... i actually bought a coded key from the dealer last summer so as to have a spare key for the doors at least. now i have a spare key for my spare door handles isn't that so very special? so how come i can order a coded key but not the cylinder? damn...

yo ross thanks so much, man.

your post makes no sense at all, why do you need a new ignition cylinder when you say you have a key? whats wrong with it
    if you need 2 keys just get one cut at the dealer
    apart from that if you really need one go to a different dealer, im in the Uk and got one made for an 89 about 6 months ago

how did you get keys cut for your door locks when they dont belong that car? i take it they are newer? ie after this 91 cut off, if thats the case perhaps have them make you an ignition key unit from that car also and fit it to this?
    Last edited by billy; 02-19-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy
    your post makes no sense at all, why do you need a new ignition cylinder when you say you have a key? whats wrong with it
    if you need 2 keys just get one cut at the dealer
    apart from that if you really need one go to a different dealer, im in the Uk and got one made for an 89 about 6 months ago

how did you get keys cut for your door locks when they dont belong that car? i take it they are newer? ie after this 91 cut off, if thats the case perhaps have them make you an ignition key unit from that car also and fit it to this?
    hmmm - the long story is pretty long... i need a spare key because i tend to lose things. i never got a key cut by anyone, i've hunted around. also i only have one key from the locks on the replacement doors.

ok I hope I get this right, I was trying to explain this to Ross.
    I bought the car last summer. It came with original locks except for the ignition cylinder, which comes from i don't know where. It came with only one key for each. I didn't realize I couldn't just cut copies.

So after a little bit I ordered a spare key from the dealer. ($75 or so) Works fine for the doors. Should have ordered a new cylinder as well but I didn't.

A little while later I bought two recycled doors with handles/locks. They also came with only one key. I actually tried to get the ignition cylinder and extra key from the same car once I realized what a PITA this is but the yard had no second key. (The story is longer there too but I'd start ranting about stupid people and shitty weather for way too long)

So, I still have my old handles in a box and went to the dealer today to order a new ign cylinder to match them thinking I could replace everything and use the two keys I already have (that also work on the trunk and the glovebox).

So... whatever... if I can get an ign cylinder + key to match the 'new' doors I can maybe just switch the cylinder. Otherwise I'll need to get a new ignition cylinder and join the two-key club. no big deal i guess.

I just think it's pretty whacked that I could order a coded key from the dealer but not a coded ignition cylinder.

$75 for an extra key for the door-handles in my closet = bimmer bummer
    Last edited by timandbim; 02-21-2008 at 05:36 AM.

a real locksmith should be able to solve your problems, those keys can be cut but not by the average goober and the guy that has the machine to cut those keys can either recode the switch or cut a key from it's code

ps it's actually easy to recode the door locks, done it many times
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

My locksmith will rekey my new '89 cylinder to the original key for $50 plus $30 for the replacement "black plastic ring". Has agreed to let me supply the ring.

What does the ring have to do with the rekeying?

The link has interesting possibility for simple/sorta rekeying. Not the link in the link, but the first post in the thread.