GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Saturn block drain leakage...

Default OT: Saturn block drain leakage...

a general question about a small issue I have come by after replacing the Dexcool in my Saturn with fresh fluid. Drained the block as part of the procedure....a fairly high torqued 10mm, 1 inch long bolt for the block drain with a big washer that threads into the bottom of the T-stat housing. If was on there pretty good...broke it loose and then reinstalled it after draining the block. Now after driving the car for a while after system pressure builds, I pull it into the garage and overnight I get a quarter size puddle...very small...from the block drain plug. I resisted really cranking on this small bolt as it is threaded into aluminum...but it was on real tight to begin with. Would I be well advised to put a little RTV on the threads or on the sealing size of the washer under the bolt head and then retighten the bolt to stop this small weep/leakage?
    Thank for any advice,
    George

26 ft lbs. is the torque listed on it.... I would probably put a little hylomar or silicone on it or if you have some loctite thread sealer not thread locker...

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    a general question about a small issue I have come by after replacing the Dexcool in my Saturn with fresh fluid. Drained the block as part of the procedure....a fairly high torqued 10mm, 1 inch long bolt for the block drain with a big washer that threads into the bottom of the T-stat housing. If was on there pretty good...broke it loose and then reinstalled it after draining the block. Now after driving the car for a while after system pressure builds, I pull it into the garage and overnight I get a quarter size puddle...very small...from the block drain plug. I resisted really cranking on this small bolt as it is threaded into aluminum...but it was on real tight to begin with. Would I be well advised to put a little RTV on the threads or on the sealing size of the washer under the bolt head and then retighten the bolt to stop this small weep/leakage?
    Thank for any advice,
    George

Default Maybe a bit of hylomar might seal it. Bill has...

recommended this for sealing of radiator hoses against their male-mating surfaces. I've used it as a gasket for the water pump on my m30. Now I just use the paper gasket with a little of this stuff for piece of mind. It's worked well for me. Anyway, at least this stuff is coolant proof.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Thank for any advice,
    George

Thanks a lot again Bill for finding the actual torque for that bolt...I owe you so many times over for helping me out. And thanks Hector as well for your comments...I too like the old stand by Hylomar...just happen to have some left...used it on my oil pan gasket and a couple of other places. To expand the thread a bit...would be interested Bill in your comments about torquing fasteners using extensions. I presume you build in a fudge factor when using a torque wrench and extension. In this case I would be going up from underneath with a couple of extensions to get at that bolt...and relatively twisty or weak in torsion 1/4" drive extensions which would change the torque reading/calibration at the wrench. This hasn't been discussed much on this forum so thought I would raise the question...Bill what is your rule of thumb....say what torque would you set your wrench to if running a couple of 1/4 extensions up to the 10mm drain plug when the spec calls for 26 ft-lbs.
    Many Thanks,
    George