GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5,6,7 series 4 piston calipers anyone?

Default 5,6,7 series 4 piston calipers anyone?

I am installing some Wilwood calipers (picked up off ebay for cheap) on my 635csi race car, I am going to see how well it works then I will do a quick how to.

If there are people interested in the brackets, I can make some more sets.
    Front rotor size will be: 324x30 for starters then maybe 334x32
    Rear rotors size will be: 328x20

The race car will be a Euro 635csi Group A replica (replica with a turbo engine), full coil over, sway bar, cage, 4 pot calipers...
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Bruno I am interested either the adapaters or the dimensions for the adapters. I am looking to use E38 750 front rotors on my car with wildwood calipers. What is the part number on the caliper youre using? Summit has them for only $160 each!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Bruno I am interested either the adapaters or the dimensions for the adapters. I am looking to use E38 750 front rotors on my car with wildwood calipers. What is the part number on the caliper youre using? Summit has them for only $160 each!
    Because I am running vintage (and I am racing on a tight tight budget) I am using the older style Wilwood Superlite IIA calipers.
    There is 2mm difference between the older superlite and the newer ones.

I might buy a set of newer ones to make the brackets if more people are interested.

I might do several sets:
    - Older wilwood Superlite calipers with 324x30 ft rotors (E31)
    - Newer wilwood Superlite calipers with 334x32 ft rotors. (E38)

Right now I am doing the 1st one. If it works great (which it should) I will buy a set of new calipers for the street 635csi and I will make the other set of brackets. Some people are still running 16 and tight 17" rims and the E31 will work best for them.
    For larger 17" and above the E38 rotors will work perfectly.

I will make more pictures this week once the bracket will be fabricated.

Nice let me know how the bracket works out. What is the piston size on the calipers you're using? I want to go with the forged superlite billet ones, but I can't find good pics to know how the adapters would have to be made. Its definitely on my agenda though as my friend is/has been letting us do a lot of CNC stuff.

How 'bout remounting that caliper with the bleeder up? Or can the cross-bar be swapped with the bleeder in situ?
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    How 'bout remounting that caliper with the bleeder up? Or can the cross-bar be swapped with the bleeder in situ?
    I know, this was just to test clearance, I just grabbed the 1st caliper that I found.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    The suspension on the 635csi race car consists off:
    Full Ground Control setup. Advanced Design double adjustable shocks, Modified strut housing, Coil over front and rear, GC camber plates, GC rear shock mounts, 25mm/19mm adjustable sway bars, Adjustable front sway bar links, Sway bar mounts reinforced, adjustable trailing arm bushings, urethane race sub-frame bushings.

You can get the ground control sleves and springs and use Bilstein shocks also, you need to modify and weld the housing though. I bought the car with the suspension already done. Dave did his.
    Hi Bruno,Do Ground Control Sleeves fit OVER E34 strut bodies to enable the use of 21/4` springs?? If so where do Ground Control come from?

how much are the rear wilwood calipers normally that accept the 328x320 rotors? Are these a 4 piston design also? Would usd$400 for the calipers and adaptor plates excluding rotors seem about right?

The wilwood calipers look inexpensive to purchase.

http://cmwraceparts.com/Brakes/brakes47.html

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    how much are the rear wilwood calipers normally that accept the 328x20 rotors? Are these a 4 piston design also? Would usd$400 for the calipers and adaptor plates excluding rotors seem about right?

The wilwood calipers look inexpensive to purchase.

http://cmwraceparts.com/Brakes/brakes47.html
    Best for the rear would be to get a set of calipers set for 0.81" rotors and the one for the 1.25" rotors for the front.
    You can still use the 1.25" calipers for the rear but you will need spacers for the pads (this is what I am doing).
    After that we need to figure out the piston size of the calipers. I will be using 1.75" front and 1.38" rear for my race car but this is for racing.

- I think that most people can get away with just 4 piston calipers for the front and upgraded rear calipers to the 540i ones and vented rotors.
    - My setup being for racing, I am going overkill... and it was cheap.

Rotors are fairly cheap as they are the E31 and E38 rotors, they are from BMW and available from Brembo cheap.
    Calipers new are 150- 160 each, or 100 - 150 Used then you need an adapter to connect your brake line M10x1mm male to 1/8"NPT female. I have yet to find that so I went with an adapter M10x1 to AN4 and then a stainless steel AN4 line to the caliper with a 90degree AN4 fitting. AN3 would work fine also.
    SS lines AN4 or AN3 are 10 - 15US each.
    Adapter plates: 100 US max.

Again this exercise was for my race car, and I will probably do it on the street car also. It is just a fun exercise.

Dynalite calipers might be better for the rear actually. I would have to find a set to make some brackets. But that is overkill for most street cars.
    Last edited by Bruno; 02-19-2008 at 10:08 AM.

thanks Bruno

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast