GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of using Carsoft diagnostics with an early e34 535i

Default Results of using Carsoft diagnostics with an early e34 535i

I've been reading my ECU's output using Carsoft 6.5.06.

Carsoft works for many types of BMW, and its full diagnostic test' tries to test for the correct operation of all systems (including some not relevant to the car it is connected to). A lot of the modern sub-systems don't exist on an e34 so where it tests one of these the test simply times out, complaining of 'No response' (which is a pain as there are some 13 odd systems that don't exist in the e34 that it has to test and time-out with).

So it is really better to test each system in turn. The only trouble is that the acronyms are all German... ie:
    DME/DDE: Engine Management System
    AB: Automatic Transmission
    BC/MID: OBC
    DWA: Anti Theft System
    ZKE: Body Electronic System
    HKL: Air Conditioning
    EGS: Auto Gearbox Control Unit
    EWS: Immobilizer System
    When I ran it I got:
    DME Status OK
    BC/MID Status OK
    HKL Status OK
    EGS Status OK
    Great, one might think!

However.... my Auto Transmission is showing 'Trans program' in the dash warning display (and is shifting hard into Reverse and has no forward power at all).

The rest of the tests resulted in Status: 'Module does not respond', even though Carsoft claims that it supports all the above functions on an e34.

I can also report;

- None of the live data functions work
    - Service Interval Reset doesn't seem to work

I get the above results with the engine running. Perhaps they would be the same output with just the ignition on. However, I've tried the SI reset in almost every way with no luck at all.

I must be doing something wrong. Has anyone had better success with CarSoft or can lend me some advice?

Surely there is a way to download the ECU's stored history and/or error codes?

Many thanks in advance, Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 02-17-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Another thing... does anyone know how to download the error codes?

I can see how to reset each system... but nothing about reading the error codes. (Perhaps they are supposed to come up in the diagnostics, but all mine says is OK)... so I can't tell!

Tx in advance, Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

I've had similar problems with carsoft 6.5. I've had better luck with 3.4, but it requires a different cable. It is good for some cars and not so good for others. I've used it on half a dozen cars and it works about 90% of the time. It has not worked with 94 525i ecu or a 96 318is abs.

To read the individual faults you need to choose the module to diagnose from the diagnose menu. I usually run the total diagnose to see which modules have faults and then diagnose the indivdual modules that show faults from the total diagnose.

Live data doesn't work with old beasts like ours. The SI reset wont work for me either (but does work on my e36). I do my tests with the igition on, but without the engine running.
    Last edited by myles; 02-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Great report! Which cable/box are you using? Does it look like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-i...spagenameZWDVW

Paul S
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Another thing... does anyone know how to download the error codes?

I can see how to reset each system... but nothing about reading the error codes. (Perhaps they are supposed to come up in the diagnostics, but all mine says is OK)... so I can't tell!

Tx in advance, Nick
    I have 6.5 too. The error codes are supposed to come up together with suggestions as to where to look eg EGS code 16 comes up 'check turbocharger speed sensor'. Pretty good as thats what BMW told me too! Only my car doesnt have a turbo It has a TURBINE sensor in the gearbox and that was at fault. I cant read live data but I can reset service intervals etc. I found different versions of 6.5 didnt work. Of course we cant share the software because of copyright but if you PM me we could compare notes?

ODB1 cars are notoriously hard to interface to, to obtain any sort of usable data reliably and you certainly wont get live data.
    The very last of the run E34s were ODB2 and of course all cars made after that.

The only thing that you should be able to get are fault codes and perhaps reset them, which of course you can do without any sort of interface using your dash 'Check Engine' indicator.

see if you can get your money back because its fairy useless for an early E34

Quote Originally Posted by billy
    you should be able to get fault codes and perhaps reset them, which of course you can do without any sort of interface using your dash 'Check Engine' indicator.
    Fine if you have a US motor. Stomping doesnt work for EU or ZA(mine). My interface/carsoft does. And politely suggests where I might look to put it right

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Fine if you have a US motor. Stomping doesnt work for EU or ZA(mine). My interface/carsoft does. And politely suggests where I might look to put it right
    mines a uk car, you cant do the stomp test, but you can however put a bulb in the dash and it will flash a fault code, albeit constantly..

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    My ECE car can do a stomp test not problems at all. Its an original australian delivered car.

Quote Originally Posted by myles
    I've had similar problems with carsoft 6.5. I've had better luck with 3.4, but it requires a different cable. It is good for some cars and not so good for others. I've used it on half a dozen cars and it works about 90% of the time. It has not worked with 94 525i ecu or a 96 318is abs.

To read the individual faults you need to choose the module to diagnose from the diagnose menu. I usually run the total diagnose to see which modules have faults and then diagnose the indivdual modules that show faults from the total diagnose.

Live data doesn't work with old beasts like ours. The SI reset wont work for me either (but does work on my e36). I do my tests with the igition on, but without the engine running.
    Thanks guys. My car is a euro car so stomping on brake pedals (or antyhing else for that matter) simply doesn't work!!

I'll have to use my reset switch to do the dash lights. Will report if I can reset the modules that err (if I can get any of them to do so...)

Thanks for your notes... oh- and yes- the cable I have is similar to the one posted above, just that mine is in a anodized black box with two 2.5mm green LEDs and BMW Diagnostic Interface written on the top in a way that only the Chinese ripping stuff off can manage.

nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast