GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535 Automatic transmission problem (a bit long)

Default 535 Automatic transmission problem (a bit long)

After a long time i'm back on the forum :-) since my wife finally decided to have the new CRV and let me go back to my old mistress.
    However, it seems the mistress was not happy about being left alone for a few months and decided to punish me by refusing to go in reverse till it decides to do so, which usually takes around 5 minutes...meanwhile if i attempt to rev it up it would simply shoot me with the Trans program message. it would do that whenever left to cool down (usually 1 - 2 hours). Some mechanics said it could be a valves issue, others mentioned sensors, and at least two decided they would rebuild the whole tranny. Any ideas ? had anyone had a similar problem ? the car shifts fine in all forward drives and the grip is excellent in reverse when it finally comes to life.

Any help will be much appreciated

Chad

Wrestling with the same issue atm, one TRANS PROGRAM on an M50 with the modern gearbox, and one on an 88 535 w the ZF 4HP22EH. Change the fluid for the right type of syntehtic (on a 535 a few of us here in Oz have used Castrol Transmax Z with great results (it is the only synthetic allowed by ZF in these old boxes), but this is a different name elsewhere, search for posts by Bill R on the matter of fluids, he knows heaps and has contributed a lot onthis matter, inc some 4HP22 rebuild how tos which make it look easy enough to motivate one to get right under the car and into it with or without the right tools... no kidding...

Check the excellent page on BMWe34.net, it may lend you some comfort... http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/TransProgram.asp (and ideas)

Cheers, Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks genphreak, i had the ATF & Filter changed recently and it never fixed the issue. With the car warm all goes well which is ruling out bad clutches. However, i don't know if a sensor could do something like that!!! i might go for a new position switch (below the handle).
    do you have an idea if any tranny error codes could be pulled out ? its an 89

Chad

I don't know if the tranny codes are any more verbose than the 'trans error' you get on the dash display. I'd check the handle/lever switch first (easy and common), then the relays but I reckon the fact it works when cold but not once warm is an indication that it is the speed sensor.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Default Any body knows of good online shops in the UK or USA.

I tried to shake the gear handle when it was in reverse and floating, and gues what. reverse just kicked in like magic, so it seems the problem was in the position switch beneath the handle.
    unfortunately, it's not available with the local dealer and i would appreciate help on who can supply such parts by online orders in the UK, or the USA.

Thanks you all for the help

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Chad535
    I tried to shake the gear handle when it was in reverse and floating, and gues what. reverse just kicked in like magic, so it seems the problem was in the position switch beneath the handle.
    unfortunately, it's not available with the local dealer and i would appreciate help on who can supply such parts by online orders in the UK, or the USA.

Thanks you all for the help

Chad
    That sounds like your cable. You tried to adjust it?

No but i am keen to exhaust all free options before moving to placing orders :-p

Default An update

Sadly enough three mechanics so far confirmed that it a mechanical problem within the gear box itself. Opinions agree that the best course of action is to get a second hand tranny (around 550 USD inclusive installation and fluid).
    I will be doing it next week..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chad535
    Sadly enough three mechanics so far confirmed that it a mechanical problem within the gear box itself. Opinions agree that the best course of action is to get a second hand tranny (around 550 USD inclusive installation and fluid).
    I will be doing it next week..

Cheers
    I'd pull the shift and clean the switch/slider assembly. All you need is a T-30 torx head and it comes straight out. Small screwdriver to open the switch.

Clean it and button her back up, then you'll know. Goog luck either way...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Already tried that to no avail :-( but logically thinking, if the switch is faulty at the R position shouldn't the R indication be absent from the cluster ? or at least erratically appearing/disappearing ?

Cheers