GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 3M protective film

Default 3M protective film

Has anyone used 3M clear bra to protect the front paint on their car. I was intrested in buying this clear scotchgard to protect from paint chips and other things. Does anyone have and pros and cons on this product. They also have to protect the headlamps as well. I saw it on ebay of course. Has anyone know if you can buy it else where. Thanks...

I think it will be tough to apply this to the contours of the cars grille surround and the leading edge of the hood.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Professional installation is highly recommended. I bought the 3M Scotchgard full kit for the E60 530i Sport. My local BMW dealer had an installer that worked in their service department put it on for me. You have to look very hard to see it, and at most angles it is virtually invisible. The hood is very easy to do, the contours are a pain.

There is a video from 3M online that will go through all the steps to show you the tips and tricks of installation. Temperatures have to be above 55 degrees, so that's one reason I opted to have the dealer install it for me. Yesterday it was almost 50 degrees, today it's 3 lonely degrees. I didn't trust the weather even in the heated garage and I really didn't want to experiment on a $200 kit. They kept it in the shop for about 3 days to let the film relax, bond, and the fluids to evaporate before taking it outside to the freezing temperatures.

Is it worth it? Everything I've seen about the stuff is nothing but good. One concern is how it's going to look after a couple of years. The film is designed to take the brunt of the damage, protecting the finish below. So I fully expect it to be tattered by rock chips in a couple of years. Maybe then just the hood piece will be replaced. We'll see...

The shield can be laid over existing rock chip damage. If you only have a couple of chipped areas, I would lay it over them instead of trying to repair it. The problem is that the shield will lay over the existing damage, but it won't lay right trying to go over a paint blob.

The tech that installed my shield did not cover the headlamp lens. Something about the plastic lens, temperature of the headlamps and the adhesive on the film that will ruin the headlamp covers. Since yours is glass, you should be alright.

Hope this helps,
    JR

I have the headlights and fog lights covered. Installed myself after I replaced all 4 headlights and the fog lights. Protect my investment.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

I bought the Lamin-X kit (uses 3M material) for my lights after I replaced them with new OEM glass. I installed it myself before I put the new lights in. And with the lights off the car it was taking me about 1/2 per light to install it very nicely.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I have my headlights & fogs covered with some super thick plastic I got from lamin-x.com. It was easy to install and does the job - cheaper to replace than a broken headlight. I got the thickest they make because I lost a couple of headlights to stones on the freeway.

Don't know about the clear bra for the hood & grilles - sounds promising. I bet you could do the install with some patience and a heat gun.

Default Neighbor did it

My neighbor did the 3m to his wife's car. Said it works great but its a pain to put on (he is a full time mechanic). I would go w/ pro installation if your going to do more then the head/fog lights.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"