Ignition lock cylinder removal tool make? If I could find a moderately stiff wire of the right diameter I could make the tool. Lock shop had a collection of "wires" with a long taper on one side. With stiff wire of right size I could file the taper and be in business.

Need to make a tool to r&r ignition locks on '89 525s to diagnose problem. Problem is key won't turn all the way to start. Bypass is to use remote starter switch to actuate starter, or to rig a starter button which would be a "way cool".

Lock shop removed lock cylinder and when I reinstalled it the starter position worked but key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Later, suddenly the key came out of the ignition but on reinsertion went back to start position OK but key not removable from lock. Today it came out of the lock but returned to no start position mode.

Have second '89 525 and a new lock set. With the new lock uninstalled and a heavy duty paper clip, the spring loaded retainer will move but apparently not enough to clear so the lock will pull out.

Had very confident response to earlier post that problem was the housing that the lockset and ignition switch fit into on the steering column. That tip may be right, but I want to make sure.

New lock set sounds like simple solution but doesn't come "keyed" to the original. Separate keys for doors and ignition is a PIA.

Open to any suggestion but a working method to r&r the lock cylinders would give the most effective way to diagnose/solve the problem, especially if it is not the lock cylinder, but the housing.