GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need to find an exhaust!

Default Help! Need to find an exhaust!

The exhaust on the 540i is finally starting to collapse properly, so it's time to replace...

...the only snag being EVERY manufacturer in common use in the UK has the 540i exhaust classed as obsolete.

The only place left to turn at the moment is the bmw dealer, who want £713 ($1400) for a new centre/rear section. This isnt an issue of not being able to afford the cost - rather an issue of principle, not wanting to have to bend over and get shafted by dealer prices.

I CANNOT have a custom build exhaust on the car, it must be OEM spec or equivalent. As I'm 24 I cannot get insurance on the vehicle with a custom exhaust - half the insurance companies wont touch me with it with 'non-standard' wheels and seats in it.

Kinda stuck here - anyone got any ideas?

I think they understand the "custom" exhaust to mean the boy racer fart pipe stuff.
    Certainly a standard replacement type exhaust could be made up that would satisfy whoever makes such inspections..no?
    Boy am I glad we don't have to put up with all that crap. No wonder old BMs are dime a dozen there.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    The exhaust on the 540i is finally starting to collapse properly, so it's time to replace...

...the only snag being EVERY manufacturer in common use in the UK has the 540i exhaust classed as obsolete.

The only place left to turn at the moment is the bmw dealer, who want £713 ($1400) for a new centre/rear section. This isnt an issue of not being able to afford the cost - rather an issue of principle, not wanting to have to bend over and get shafted by dealer prices.

I CANNOT have a custom build exhaust on the car, it must be OEM spec or equivalent. As I'm 24 I cannot get insurance on the vehicle with a custom exhaust - half the insurance companies wont touch me with it with 'non-standard' wheels and seats in it.
    Kinda stuck here - anyone got any ideas?
    Doesnt say if its BNIB and he is hardly on your doorstep, but it may be a place to start
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E34-540i-R...QQcmdZViewItem
    Sorry. I should read ads more carefully - it says FROM not FOR a 540
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 02-06-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Poster should learn to read

I just had a new back box fitted (everything else was OK) but I got a custom stainless steel one as that was the only practical option compared to dealer prices for one... have you spoken to your insurance company about it? Obviously if they say OEM spec as being same diameter pipes, same noise level etc etc you're fine.... if they say has to be an actual OEM original or pattern part then that's a bit rubbish

16 Feet of pure pleasure

The wheels and seats are factory items - there is no reason to mention these to any insurnace company ! Sorry to hear about the exhaust,but I did this on another car when I was around your age and it cost me £30 extra I think to declare a full stainless system. How is the car ...apart from the exhaust ?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Wow, if those are anywhere near the quiality of Eberspaecher or ANSA (BMA sells these), than it would seem to be a great deal for the UK. My Eberspaecher set-up was worth shipping from Cali to Canada at ~$550 US (front and rear mufflers).

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

sshhh, don't tell the insurance people

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Rough-Diamond
    The wheels and seats are factory items - there is no reason to mention these to any insurnace company ! Sorry to hear about the exhaust,but I did this on another car when I was around your age and it cost me £30 extra I think to declare a full stainless system. How is the car ...apart from the exhaust ?
    Car's good thanks mate, chasing a few minor misfires around at the moment - think I might have a coilpack on the blink, testing them all tomorrow and I've got a chinese surprise code reader en route that was about £17 from fleabay.

The factory fit seats and wheels have to be declared under RBS rules, though when declared under 'factory item' dont actually cost me anything extra.

However any insurer backed by RBS (Churchill/Direct Line/Tesco - the only people who'll insure me for under £1200 - even adrian flux couldnt beat them) has a 'no mods under age 25' rule which is very annoying. This means I could patch the exhaust for another 10 months and then go stainless - however I suspect that the exhaust holes have something to do with a bit of uneven running/idle.

Did have a quick question for you actually - when was the last time the 540i had an oil change? I've not done a huge amount of mileage in it yet, and havent had chance to swap the oil!

Whiskychaser - for looking that up mate but that catalogue image is from the old TIMAX catalogue - I've been chasing elusive BM295's and BM296's around all week

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Car's good thanks mate, chasing a few minor misfires around at the moment - think I might have a coilpack on the blink, testing them all tomorrow and I've got a chinese surprise code reader en route that was about £17 from fleabay.

The factory fit seats and wheels have to be declared under RBS rules, though when declared under 'factory item' dont actually cost me anything extra.

However any insurer backed by RBS (Churchill/Direct Line/Tesco - the only people who'll insure me for under £1200 - even adrian flux couldnt beat them) has a 'no mods under age 25' rule which is very annoying. This means I could patch the exhaust for another 10 months and then go stainless - however I suspect that the exhaust holes have something to do with a bit of uneven running/idle.

Did have a quick question for you actually - when was the last time the 540i had an oil change? I've not done a huge amount of mileage in it yet, and havent had chance to swap the oil!

Whiskychaser - for looking that up mate but that catalogue image is from the old TIMAX catalogue - I've been chasing elusive BM295's and BM296's around all week
    Try Hayward and Scott of Maldon Essex for S/S or Maniflow of Salisbury for mild steel. If any part fitted to a car does not alter the prformance or appearance, you are not obligated to inform your insurance but, dont claim for the part on insurance if you have not declared it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast