GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does disconnecting the battery reset the trans comp?

Default Does disconnecting the battery reset the trans comp?

I know the trans computer is in the passenger side kick panel (Touring) but I couldn't find an obvious plug to pull. Will disconnecting the battery for ~15 minutes have the same effect or do you need to actually unplug the trans. comp?

Yes, disconnecting for 15 minutes the battery is enough.

Is there some adaptive quality to the GM/Salzburg transmission that can be reset in this manner? Not that I'd ever own one, but I thought only the V8s had adaptive trannies. Just curious.

Thanks!

speaking of which, someone told me that disconnecting the battery and making the neg and positive terminals of the car touch each other for a few minutes will reset all the fault codes of the car. Is was called something discharge... i guess it's a VW trick.

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    speaking of which, someone told me that disconnecting the battery and making the neg and positive terminals of the car touch each other for a few minutes will reset all the fault codes of the car. Is was called something discharge... i guess it's a VW trick.
    I've heard something similar: If you had a faulty component eg air flow meter the ecu may compensate for this so when a replacement is fitted shorting the terminals resets the compensation.

Apprently the ecu will recognise a new componenet eventually but takes a few hundred miles to return to normal.

I also understand you need your ignition key in position II when doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    'round these parts that's known as the Shogun Reset.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

A big CAVEAT... when you join the two anodes of the battery together, you had better do it through a rather high resistance resistor. The exact size can be found on another E34 forum (I can't remember which right now). All you really want to do is lightly stimulate the system to a reset mode, not fry wiring. Also, the EGS in the passenger kick panel of a 1994 525i has a rather large connector that disengages quite easily. I have disconnected mine (also a 1994 525i) on several occasions to measure voltage/resistance.

Do you get a Trans Program error on the dash? Just shutting off the engine should reset the tran. comp.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight
    Do you get a Trans Program error on the dash? Just shutting off the engine should reset the tran. comp.
    I'm still having issues with with my Trans Program error, on my 90 535i.
    I'm slowly following the instructions from the E34 Website on this error.
    Shutting the car on or off hasn't helped. I've replaced the ATF Fluid and nothing. I've replaced the battery, the alternator is in good condition. Still hasn't made the error go away.

Do I need to leave the battery unplugged over night?

Should I look at doing this "Shogun Reset" to see if it will go away. Could someone explain this to me further?

Should I look further into the Trans Computer thing?

Should I look at getting a new ECU?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    KC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast