GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine Woes

Default Engine Woes: New Head gasket leak.

Hello All
    I had a blown head gasket in the middle of nowhere a few weeks back. I had it repaired locally . The head was sent to be machined and it appears as though all the gaskets have been replaced. The mechanic seemed to think the rest of the motor was OK when he had the head off. It ran fine [fantastic in fact] for about 300 kilometers. I then noticed coolant level was down. I could find no leak . There is some water in the oil! Not cafe latte yet, but if I leave it It will be.
    Is there anywhere else other than a head gasket where the oil and water can get it together?

Engine overheated to 3/4 so I shut it off and bled the radiator when coolant went low. Other than using water the engine is running fine. I am not driving it anywhere at the moment though.
    Thanks in advance

It is a late 1987 735i with 280,000 on the clock.
    Last edited by nango; 02-04-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more info

The head could have haircracks. Usually the mechanic has to make a pressure test.

Well Today . It turned into milk shake. I dropped into my usual mechanic who wondered how it is still running. Decided not to go ahead and repair. Oh well. Thanks for looking..

Quote Originally Posted by nango
    Well Today . It turned into milk shake. I dropped into my usual mechanic who wondered how it is still running. Decided not to go ahead and repair. Oh well. Thanks for looking..
    There was a problem with the repair- but craks are not always the problem. A mistake or accident is more likely.

It is simple to pull it off if you have half a day- you may find a crack, but perhaps also it is the wrong gasket (on M30s there are many tpyes over the years- not sure how many gaskets fit and don't work.. but some are clearly wrong! Or it may just need re-torquing. I let mine heat up, re-rtorque and then drive for 20 mins, then re-torqued. Checked torque again after a week. Best to know it seals ok...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!