GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Registration/Plate Renewal: What do you pay?

as i read the topic i CAN'T help but notice how it's all CHEAPEST in america, and yet americans are always bitching how gas is expensive and how everything else is expensive....are you nuts? ever been outside the redneck zone? let's say europe or anywhere else in the world?

$78 in Illinois. $%^$^%$ oppressive government!!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default Ouch! HOT! ouch! ouch!

...(trying to snuff out the flames)

Sorry I didn’t mean to start an international incident.

Thanks for the comments though (seriously!) I was hoping to hear what it is like outside the states. That's why I posted this here.

Believe me, I do feel fortunate to have cheaper costs in the USA and I don’t take them for granted. I am amazed at the costs others are forced to pay in Europe, Australia, Canada and elsewhere.

My main complaint was costs between the states. Each state is able to develop their own laws and systems for car registration and insurance. The costs vary greatly from state to state. It's almost like different countries at times.

Redneck zone? Perhaps you'll want to take that back.

It's $74 annually here in Ontario

But the insurance is over $2K for liability only so that stops me from putting too broad of a smile on my face.

Anyway, just because a person's getting a better deal doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to complain anymore. I know this isn't completely true or fair, since governments find a way despite their best intentions to look out for their own interests first, but maybe if everyone who's living with $8/gallon gas or $500 road taxes had complained more they wouldn't be in that situation.

Default $107.50 here in Illinois...

...but that is with vanity plates (letters only), would be $92.50 with personalized (letters and numbers).

Wow, do I feel fortunate to live where I do (for more than just transportation reasons).

Here in Northern Ontario, I pay ~$75 a year for registration, regardless of cost of age/vehicle. Licenses last at least five years and I can’t remember what they cost to renew, so it can’t be much. My insurance is less than$500/ year per vehicle (all I know is that a pick-up truck, the e34 and my home insurance costs $150 / month). There is no requirement to have periodic inspections or emissions testing. The air and water are also clean as a whistle Oh yeah, we live in the city, have four parking spots and no need to pay for parking at work. No traffic jams, little crime, skiing, paddling, hunting, fishing etc. all around us.

Now, if we could just get more jobs, an NHL team and another day off a week………………...

I spent 25 years of my life in Toronto and would never consider returning, poor buggers

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Redneck zone? Perhaps you'll want to take that back.

sorry ross, i didn't mean to offend anyone, but i can't help but notice what i said before! it's always complaints from america, and you guys have it all! what the hell?

"it's always complaints from america"
    That's still a generalization and an incorrect one at that.
    I do agree that I for one sometimes lose track of how fortunate I am and that my problems and complaints are trivial.

Default Stop complaining Dave

Didn't the government just invent another holiday for you this year? 'Family day' or something? Must be nice to live where they just invent holidays out of boredom? Too bad they don't do that here in Illinois. BTW, just kidding as a former resident of TO.
    Last edited by Black 535i; 02-04-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Addition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12