GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: First gear popping out

Default First gear popping out

Hey all,

I just bought an E34 535i and I've been having this occurance where first gear will pop out of gear after starting from a standstill. The thing I notice is that it most often occurs after I just warm up the car but it seems to be really hit or miss. Like tonight for example, it didn't happen at all. I was thinking maybe a bad synchro but I have no issue shifting -in- to 1st. Just starting in first from a standstill is when it happens. If I hold in place it'll work, but it does make this weird springy noise (kind of like letting a spring sprung itself) and the gear grinds.

After googling a bit, I came to the following uneducated answers:

A) Worn shift fork
    B) Worn shift linkage
    C) Worn guide sleeve
    D) Bad tranny entirely

I'm hoping it's either of the 2 first ones. I'm still waiting for the previous owner to give me the maintenance records, that way I can see what kind of clutch work has been done. I imagine after 15 years and 200k miles things are going to wear out. So I'm not too concerned at this point.

Does anybody have any past experiences with this problem? I just want to see what I'm in for. I'll probably just start with the cheapest/easiest repair first and go down the line.

Default Clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_burkett
    Hey all,

I just bought an E34 535i and I've been having this occurance where first gear will pop out of gear after starting from a standstill. The thing I notice is that it most often occurs after I just warm up the car but it seems to be really hit or miss. Like tonight for example, it didn't happen at all. I was thinking maybe a bad synchro but I have no issue shifting -in- to 1st. Just starting in first from a standstill is when it happens. If I hold in place it'll work, but it does make this weird springy noise (kind of like letting a spring sprung itself) and the gear grinds.

After googling a bit, I came to the following uneducated answers:

A) Worn shift fork
    B) Worn shift linkage
    C) Worn guide sleeve
    D) Bad tranny entirely

I'm hoping it's either of the 2 first ones. I'm still waiting for the previous owner to give me the maintenance records, that way I can see what kind of clutch work has been done. I imagine after 15 years and 200k miles things are going to wear out. So I'm not too concerned at this point.

Does anybody have any past experiences with this problem? I just want to see what I'm in for. I'll probably just start with the cheapest/easiest repair first and go down the line.
    Think you have all the usual suspects but what about a poorly adjusted clutch? Dont know about the 'spring' sound but the gear grinding as you select could well be a symptom. Sounds like the gear is only going in half way-which is why you have to hold it in and why it jumps out. You could check that the travel when engaging 1st and 3rd is the same.

You're missing a possible cause - broken engine or rear tranny mounts. Check those first. Cheap, easy.

After that, check for severely worn parts in the shift linkage. Unless it's been rebuilt at some time, you can bet they are very loose. There are several good threads on R&Ring the linkage. You need to drop the exhaust and driveline to do it right.

Swapping in redline MT-90 is a good thing to do at the same time.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

You've given me a lot of different ideas on what could be the problem.

Out of pure curiosity I took apart the shift console to see what's down there. When I was attempting to remove the shift dust cover by prying it with a screwdriver (the Bentley manual simply said "remove") the rubber ripped with very little effort. The rubber was so hard it was turning to plastic :P Since the dust cover was turned to crap I threw it away. The strange is, I've noticed a *significant* difference. It still slips out of 1st gear every now and then but a lot less. I can sometimes go an entire day without it slipping out. I've also noticed it only happens on cold start. If I let the car warm up for at least 2 minutes it doesn't do it.

Here's the interesting thing. I spoke to the previous owner's mechanic (who serviced it for the past 200,000 miles) and he swears it's the dog teeth on the 1st gear (which I knew could be a possible issue.) He was kind of rude to me, I suggested adjusting the clutch, "Oh no no! These are self adjusting clutches!" I hope it's not the tranny, but I'm willing to accept it.

In any case, I just wanted to give everyone an update. I appreciate the help, and honestly I'm a n00b when it comes to car repair. But part of the reason I got this car was to learn how to work on it. I've got the Bentley manual and I'm tempted to buy a shop manual. Thanks again for all the help. Now it's time to start breaking more things :P