GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Installing Clutch master hard line??? Tips Tricks Tools?

Default Installing Clutch master hard line??? Tips Tricks Tools?

Ok trying to install the hard line on the clutch master...
    Got it started but with all the other lines in the area + the master/booster...
    i can't seem to get a wrench in there to tighten the line!
    It was all I could do to just get my fingertips in there to start the threads.

Any tips from you guys that have replaced masters before?
    Last edited by attack eagle; 02-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.

I'm not proud, but in order to reach the nut on the old one on my '90 525i, I had to bend the line a bit to reach it by pulling it into the car so I could reach it. I screwed the new one in, and pushed it all back into place, and everything is fine. I don't like to bend stuff, etc, but this time I don't thing there was any other secret trick.

Hope this helps,

vince
    Naperville, IL
    '90 525im
    '90 750iL
    '92 525iTm
    '94 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    I'm not proud, but in order to reach the nut on the old one on my '90 525i, I had to bend the line a bit to reach it by pulling it into the car so I could reach it. I screwed the new one in, and pushed it all back into place, and everything is fine. I don't like to bend stuff, etc, but this time I don't thing there was any other secret trick.
    Sorry for the thread-o-mancy, but could someone elaborate on this a bit? My hard line has a 90 degree turn in it right before it goes into the firewall, and it won't come through enough to actually get a bolt around it. My next thought was to disconnect the hard line from the rubber lining (where the 11 and 16mm nuts are joined) so the hard line would be loose enough to get through the hole. Now I just need to get another arm, and a couple more elbows and that should be a piece of cake.

Default Trying Again

I'll try to elaborate from what I remember.... I had the master unbolted, and could not reach the line nut from outside of the car well enough with a wrench. The rubber line was disconnected. So I pulled the master with the line attached farther into the car until I could reach the line nut with a wrench from inside the car. I have fairly small hands and am 5'9, so it's fairly easy for me to squeeze under the dash. But it's still not easy. Good luck!

vince

Quote Originally Posted by J.DeFeo
    Sorry for the thread-o-mancy, but could someone elaborate on this a bit? My hard line has a 90 degree turn in it right before it goes into the firewall, and it won't come through enough to actually get a bolt around it. My next thought was to disconnect the hard line from the rubber lining (where the 11 and 16mm nuts are joined) so the hard line would be loose enough to get through the hole. Now I just need to get another arm, and a couple more elbows and that should be a piece of cake.

i ended up starting the thing from the other side of the firewall (sits higher than it feels line ), then pulling the master thru and tightening it. Then shoving it forcibly back thru again (line bends each time you do this)

Ok, I got everything out, but the old hard line from the master cylinder was severely overtightened by the previous owner and I can't re-use that line. I can't find anywhere that has 1/4" bubble flare lining and the BMW dealership has it on backorder. What can I do?