GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Information on M50TU A/T to S52/6SPD Twin or Single Turbo

Default Getting Information on M50TU A/T to S52/6SPD Twin or Single Turbo

Alright guys, I've almost finished the body/interior/suspension/brakes. It's time to start planning the future:

What I had in mind was to swap my current engine (M50TU) and tranny with a S52 OBD1 and 6 SPD tranny and then go to turbo it at the minimum, if not twin turbo it because of the lag single turbo's usually tend to cause.

Target HP Goal: 400-600

I'm not trying to build an abesoulte monster, just enough to get the 525i Touring up to the current M5 Touring Specs in terms of performance.

A couple of my basic questions must be:

1.) Can the S52/ Stock Internals support the kind of power from my HP Goal?

2.)Is it better to get a S52 and tranny package together or mate the S52 with a different tranny?

3.) I'm assuming I'm going to need a custom drive shaft to support the power as well as the new distance?

4.) When looking for the S52, what components should come with it that can't be transfered over from my current motor?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by bad_manners_god; 02-01-2008 at 08:44 AM.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

why would a turbo blow up on long road trips?

how are you going to fit a by pass valve from the exhaust manifold to the turbo - its impossible -, and where would the exhaust gasses go then?

I think this idea is stupid. Your tubo won't be "burned" out. WHat cars have you seen this done on before that your basing your ideas on?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    why would a turbo blow up on long road trips?

how are you going to fit a by pass valve from the exhaust manifold to the turbo - its impossible -, and where would the exhaust gasses go then?

I think this idea is stupid. Your tubo won't be "burned" out. WHat cars have you seen this done on before that your basing your ideas on?
    This is my first time turboing any car. I was discussing this with my friend who has a turbo on his neon, the point is, once I'm already at higher speeds, I wont need the turbo causing unneccesary wear and a shorter life span on the turbo.

Dont the exhaust gases go out, thru umm, the exhaust pipes?

your idea is overly complex... unless under load you won't be in boost and it will just be freewheeling but making no boost.. you can run at 6500 rpm and make no boost.

all that is unneeded.

as far as swapping the touring to s52 and manual. shrike did it on bf.c, and is supercharging it at the moment.

don't forget you need diff to match the new manual tranny's diff, and the proper driveshaft.

Jon k is running a lot of power thru a stock diff, driveshaft, and zf310.

btw exhaust gasses pas thru the turbo first. the exhaust piping is connected to IT. all air passes thru it as well.

I've run 4k for 20 hours straight on the freeway (except fuel stops) in a turbo and it is less hot than driving hard for 5 minutes.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 02-01-2008 at 01:44 AM.

yes they do if the turbo is operating, however is the valve is open and the exhaust gases won't go into the turbo, they will be going into the engine compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    This is my first time turboing any car. I was discussing this with my friend who has a turbo on his neon, the point is, once I'm already at higher speeds, I wont need the turbo causing unneccesary wear and a shorter life span on the turbo.

Dont the exhaust gases go out, thru umm, the exhaust pipes?

howitworks turbocharging

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    yes they do if the turbo is operating, however is the valve is open and the exhaust gases won't go into the turbo, they will be going into the engine compartment.
    Ok, I see what you mean, Jon K's massive Manifold and Turbo came to mind, lol.

Attack eagle: Does the "free-wheeling" of the turbo put any wear on the turbo? I've read the how it works, but It ndidnt really mentioning anything to the nature of wear on the turbo which is why i thought up this whole complex idea....I must say, its a pretty sexy diagram.

As i own some turbocharged bikes, I've gotta chime in on this one.

The diagram you show would be feeding exhaust gases into the intake en masse, the engine would simply stall. Remember the turbo has 2 sides to it the compressor and the exhaust turbine. The compressor is only intake side, the exhaust is obviously just exhaust. If you're not running boost (i.e not under load on a cruise at say 80mph/130kph) the turbo isn't spinning all that much faster than at idle. It only gets to high speed when you load the engine and make boost. Having put thousands of miles on my bikes running 5-6k rpm at highway speed, I can say it won't nuke the turbo. Lack of oil supply or shutting the engine down with the turbine still spinning will.

"Free wheeling" turbo? As long as it gets clean oil it`ll last. I have had a spare turbo for six years due to being a cynic but after 13 years of abuse its still on the original,fitted a full flow filter on return and good lines to and from turbo but not really needed, just remember to let it cool down and enjoy.Even temporary twin/535 adapted set up I used for a while was ok but I used a separate oil feed system,BMW over engineer most things which is why we are still driving E34`s, not many rice rockets at that age???

Ok, so that idea is out the window and my mind at ease, now it's time to move on with the swap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast