GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the odds that our 5ers could be blown off a road?

Default What are the odds that our 5ers could be blown off a road?

Higher than you think.

My last pics before taking off to the Chicago 5er meet. I'm driving the on-ramp to the interstate; slow because its 7:00 am, 16*F, and wet out. Luck have it... just as I start looking to merge, a semi flys by me. Next thing I feel, my rear end breaking loose. WTF do I do? Gas it to lose more traction? Brake to spin to a stop on the interstate? OR swallow my luck and just try to steer it off road (currently heading across traffic)? My quickest decision was to just steer offroad. I'm sure someone will give me the "you should have done this" ********, but you were there to help me.

LSS: I slid off, through a fence and some shrubs. Driverside took the brunt. Nice wrinkle on the rear quarter-panel just above the taillight. Part of my rear bumper was not found, and when I stopped part of the fence was through my front bumper. The worst part... barbed wire did a number on my roof. >:[

It's all fixable, but I'm guessing they'll total it. It'll never be the same because many of the parts on the car are no longer available.

Pictures are on my friend's camera, and I'm in no hurry to post them.

Please just drive safe on the highway guys. I've lost about 2 years of hard work.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Can I have your wheels? I kid.
    Amazingly, 3 made it without a scratch (need to check if they're still straight) however... one is completely trashed and bent..... bad.

This result is most likely better than spinning in any event. Fence to the front is nicer than t-boned by a truck. Braking probably do nothing. Gas'ing it would be a gamble of sorts...
    Kinda how I was thinking.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Ah **** mate, commiserations.

All that can really be said is you've walked away from it, it could have gone a lot worse.

Get the good bits off, start again :<

Sad really, when you own something that you've put so much effort into, it's hard to let go of it sometimes. Fight hard for it's value from the insurers and you may be able to pull some luck out of this, add a bit of cash and see if you can go 540i/6

i bet there was ice on the ramp...if thats all it took to blow a e 34 off the road half the cars ever built would be trash now.Uor cars have serious grip...
    Gone but not forgotten

Can I have your wheels? I kid.

I can only imagine that since it was semi controlled, you cringed at every step of the way... going through the shrubs, scraping the roofline... etc.

This result is most likely better than spinning in any event. Fence to the front is nicer than t-boned by a truck. Braking probably do nothing. Gas'ing it would be a gamble of sorts...

Good to hear you're ok.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I know exactly, well, maybe not, how you feel. I was driving down the road last week not long after it had stopped raining, took a turn about normal speed and kept going straight. Luckily I regained traction somehow before I ran off the road into a bunch of trees. Scared the **** out of me to say the least. You may think you know how to recover from a skid or some other situation but knowing what to do and being able to follow through are two different things as I now know.

Sorry to hear about your car, I hope it is not a total loss.

Sheesh Mac...I do want to see how extensive the damage is...

As much as I hate to say it, if it's totalled you could consider parting it out. I don't want to call dibs on your car but...
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Unlucky damn nice looking motor. you never know it might not be a right off
    1994 BMW E34 Touring Tds Auto (M51)
    Nice car wish it was start uphill

I'm curious, what kind of tires were you running? If you were on ice, the turbulance from the semi is what did it, once it breaks loose there's no choice, you become a passenger.

Damn fine looking E34 too! Glad you're alright and nobody else was involved. Look on the bright side, they might fix 'er up like new for you!

Good luck Mac,
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    i bet there was ice on the ramp...if thats all it took to blow a e 34 off the road half the cars ever built would be trash now.Uor cars have serious grip...
    An e34 is not that heavy... mayeb it was aquaplaning- those tyres are 9" wide after all.

What an awful event. Luckily you didn't hit a tree else you might not be telling us... however the damage may be more easily fixable than you think. It is easier to swap and repair panels, especially if there no structural damage (e34s are strong that way, but many don't really know)

Best of luck mate. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast